Jason IX

Dedicated to @taygetsthegay, because love is love.

__________________________________________________________

We went camping for the first time in Cornwall by the sea.

He usually refused to get up 20 minutes before school starts, somehow always arriving on time, and on weekends he was vicious if he woken against his will before noon.

I was the opposite. I preferred being asleep during the day and being awake way into the night. I liked being outside when it was dark, when it was quiet. I liked laying beneath the stars.

We set up our tent near a cliff where the ocean crashed below, and by we, I mean I.

"My hero," he teased, fluttering his dark eyelashes at me once I had finished.

I rolled my eyes and squinted up at the orange sky.

"I like watching the sun set," I said, sitting down beside him.

He, too, looked up. "Me too. I just think about how it's setting for us, but on the other side of the world, they're waking up to what we just lost."

"I know what you mean," I agreed. "Although that was a really shoddy description."

He smiled.

It got dark pretty quickly after that, but the heat stayed. After deciding that the tent was too humid and stuffy (I worked goddamn hard on putting up that tent for us to not even use it) we returned to our blankets.

"Pretty stars." He sighed.

"You lose all sense of intelligence after midnight, when you're not being a philosophical pest," I replied, taking off my shirt.

"Shu-up." He huffed, moving closer to me to rest his cool face on my chest. He removed it almost instantly, like he had been burned. "You're not wearing a shirt. It's fine," he said blankly, as if answering a question, and rested his head back down. His face felt considerably warmer.

He fell asleep at record speed while I was wide awake and watching as light grey clouds passed over the starry sky.

Some time later I grew tired, and the sound of his soft breaths lulled me to sleep.

 ***

"Did you go on many camping trips after that?" she asked me.

"Yes. I made him put up the tent. He broke it."