chapter two - bloody shards of ice

CHAPTER TWO - BLOODY SHARDS OF ICE

         I stared back at his eyes in shock for a second before I sprang back and turned away to run back to my truck when another figure stood right in my way. 

        My eyes recognized the dark shirt and my eyes traveled up to the pale face of the man who came into the diner earlier. His sunglasses were gone and now his eyes were only white. There was no pupil or iris but only the color of white painted over his eyes.

        I gasped and backed away, my hands going to the small pocket knife I always kept in the back of my shorts. "What do you want?" I choked out. I was so terrified of both of them and what they were capable of. I just wanted to get the hell out of there. Finally after fumbling with it for a moment, I finally had a hold of the knife behind my back and slid it from the safety barrier. 

        He shook his head and gave me an amused smile. "There's nothing that I want from you, pretty. It's from that boy behind you." I looked back to see the boy climbing painfully to his feet. His eyes connected with mine and the fear in my chest spiked. 

        What the fuck have I gotten myself into? I turned back to the man and saw that he held a knife as well, only that the blade looked as if it was carved from ice, perfectly smooth and perfectly deadly. "Only thing," the man continued, "is that you're in my way." 

        Right at the moment, I whipped my pocket knife from behind and slashed forward at the man. It sliced cleanly through the front of his torso and blood began to seep through his shirt. The man's face showed the expression of surprise as he looked down at his shirt. Then suddenly he looked up at me, and his face transformed into the darkest smile I had ever seen. 

        "You shouldn't have done that," he said darkly and lunged forward to me with the knife. 

        Suddenly a hand grabbed the back of my shirt and I was pulled backwards, away from the man and slammed onto the ground. A sharp pain went up my spine and I looked up to see the boy standing in front of me, blocking me from the man. The knife the man had was now shoved into the boys right shoulder but the boy's glowing fingers were wrapped around the man's throat, the pain he should have felt in his shoulder completely unrecognized. "Don't you fucking dare," the boy snarled, his viens in his arms glowing brighter.

        The man grinned, despite the fact that the oxygen was being cut from him. He let out a laugh, "I'm surprised, Michael. You're stronger than we thought." 

        The boy, Michael, then threw the man forward and he crashed into the hood of my truck. Michael quickly took out the knife that protruded from his shoulder, making ice shards break and fly everywhere, and threw it away. The man rolled off the hood and onto the ground. He chuckled darkly again and spit onto the ground. He quickly glanced at me and then Michael. "You think you can keep running boy, but you can't. You're an abomination and will only die. Just unfortunately, not tonight." The man sent me a grin, and I grimaced as I saw his white teeth stained with blood. And suddenly in a flash, the man disappeared. 

        I sat on the road and looked around in panic, waiting for the man to appear again, but he didn't. My heart still raced in my chest as the boy turned around to face me. His eyes still glowed green but not as brightly as before, and his arms were no longer glowing a bright red. He looked drained, but he still managed to walk over to me. 

        I immediately backed away from him. "Get the hell away from me!" I shrieked, and he bent down in front of me. His eyes skimmed my face for a second before wandering down to my legs. They widened when he saw my calf and he reached out to touch my leg when I flinched away from him. "Don't touch me," I demanded. I looked at my leg as well and saw that the skin was scraped because of the rough gravel of the road and was bleeding.