chapter three - hunters

CHAPTER THREE - HUNTERS

         I woke up to a stiffness in my neck and the continuous vibration in my pocket.

        I let out a soft groan from the small ache in my back and fumbled for my phone that was in my back pocket. I flicked the cell phone open and brought it up to my ears, not bothering to check the caller I.D.

        "Hello?" My answer came out in a croaked voice.

        "Aiden, sweetheart! Where are you?" Franny's panicked voice came on the other line.

        Opening my eyes, I sat up from whatever I was sleeping on and rubbed my temples, for a massive headache began to form there. "I'm at home Franny," I mumbled and looked down at my legs. My eyes widened in surprise as I saw a trickle of dried blood that went from my calf to sneaker. 

        "You're not coming to work then? Dan already has his panties in a twist! He doesn't need to find out you're not coming to work today!"

        My fingers reached down to brush my leg and immediately a sting shot up from behind it. I twisted my leg around to see the calf side scraped up. At that moment, the events from last night came rushing back to my mind and my head snapped up, my eyes focusing on where the boy should be. The couch across from me, though, was empty. 

        He was gone. 

        The phone dropped from my grasp as I quickly got to my feet. Immediately I regretted it as I felt the soreness from my body and the more painful sting of my leg. I took a few steps and looked around the living room and kitchen, but the boy was nowhere to be seen. Confusion and panic struck me as I realized maybe the boy had left before I woke up. But that couldn't happen. I needed answers for what happened last night, and he was the only who could give them to me.

        "Aiden, are you still there?" Franny's frantic voice rose from my phone.

        I walked over to the forgotten cell phone and brought it back to my ears. "Franny I-" I started but stopped as I saw someone emerge from the hallway that led to the bathroom and bedroom.

        It was the boy, Michael as the man called him, and his mouth turned into a crooked smile when he saw me. "Franny, I got to go," I spoke quickly into the phone. I took in his appearance and saw that his red hair was slightly wet and he wore the clothes that I left for him on the coffee table. He leaned against the wall next to him, and crossed his arms over his chest, giving me a raised eyebrow.

        I heard Franny give an exasperated sigh. "Aiden, are you not coming to-"

        "Franny, I'm not feeling well. Tell Dan I'm sorry, but I can't make it today. I'll talk to you later." Franny began to protest again on the other line, but I shut the phone, ending the call for good and shoved the device into the back pocket of my shorts. A small part of me in the pit of my stomach felt guilty, but talking to Franny wasn't one of my priorities right now. 

        My main priority had to do with the strange boy standing in front of me. 

        I shoved the phone in the back of my pocket and felt a slight uncertainty as the silence stretched between us. Was it even safe bringing him into my own home? After all, he did glow red and had crazy glowing eyes. 

        I cleared my throat after a few seconds and shifted my feet slightly. "You're awake," I said and immediately realized how stupid I sounded. I was really good at stating the obvious.