chapter sixteen - searching for help

CHAPTER SIXTEEN - SEARCHING FOR HELP

        "Are you seriously putting that music?" Calum asked with a groan, popping his head into the middle of the seats.  

        I snorted and glanced at Michael who was rocking his head along to the top-hits pop music that came from the radio. He had his elbow rested on the driver's window and one hand steadily on the wheel of his Hummer, Molly. 

        "Michael, can you please turn that off?" Calum tried again, yelling over the music that Michael had turned up. I rolled my eyes and reached over to the radio, changing the station. Michael gave me a glare. "Aiden, I was listening to that." 

        "And if we never changed the station, we would have to listen to Calum complain till we get there," I countered, sending him a small smile. 

        Michael shook his head with a fake irritated expression, but returned the smile nonetheless as we continued to drive the car on the empty road in front of us. It was later in the afternoon and we were on our way to search for the very important person that Calum said would help us. As soon as we woke up in the morning, we hurriedly left out the door and got onto the road. 

        And for the past few hours, we have been on the same road, getting closer and closer to the town that Calum believed our help would be staying in. It felt weirdly comforting to be able to be back in Michael's Hummer again, but at the same time it felt saddening to know that our fun of having a normal life was past us now and we wouldn't be going back to that anytime soon. 

        For most of the road, all we either did was argue with each other or complain. Or Michael and I would have to hear Calum sing along to his favorite songs for an hour. So the road trip we were on was either giving me a headache or making my cheeks hurt from smiling too much. 

        "I prefer listening to Calum complain," Michael teased, sending a look back at Calum through the rear view mirror. 

        "Well I don't," I mumbled, crossing my arms over my chest. 

        "Hey," Calum's head popped up again and he looked at me with furrowed eyebrows. "What's that suppose to mean?" 

        I patted his shoulder with a laugh. "Nothing." 

        Michael chuckled. "She's calling you annoying Cal," he said and sent me a wink. 

        "No I'm not!" I protested and reached over, smacking Michael on the arm.  

        Michael laughed again and turned the radio back to the previous pop music station. Calum let out a groan and moved forward, reaching his hand out to the stereo. Michael immediately slapped his hand away though and Calum let out another groan. "You're an asshole." 

        "Don't mess with my music," Michael said and turned the volume louder. Calum and I groaned louder at the same time and shot Michael a glare. He laughed and continued to bob his head to the music. 

        I looked out of the window in defeat and stared at the scenery that flew past us. Several lakes showed up and we mostly had driven through numerous woods, where the trees were turning to fall colors and had their leaves already falling to the floor. It made me feel peaceful, no matter how loud and obnoxious Michael was putting his music on.  

        "Guys," Calum started, yelling over the music. I reached over and turned the volume down so we could hear him. "Can we stop by somewhere please?"