chapter ten - stolen

CHAPTER TEN - STOLEN

        The next morning, Michael and I packed up our things, and left the motel in silence.

        We would usually stay a little longer, to rest up from being on the road for so long, but Michael made it clear that he had no intention to stay there. And I kind of had a feeling why. 

        As we drove out of the small town in Missouri, I kept my legs pulled against my chest and my eyes focused on the passenger window. Music quietly played in the background, this time from the Hummer named Molly that Michael stole. 

        We didn't talk to each other most of the time, or it was more like I didn't talk much to him. He was doing what he usually did-- cracking jokes and smiling. But it was blatantly obvious that he was forcing that to happen. It wasn't possible that he would be okay after all that had happened. 

        I wasn't okay, that was for sure.  

        I pressed my knees closer to my chest and placed my chin atop of them. Maybe it was supposed to be like this. After all, the only reason why I came along with Michael is because of his fear of the Glacians coming after me. I had a choice to stay, and now it makes me wonder if it was a good idea that I even did. 

        Michael turned the car and I noticed that he drove into the parking lot of a mini-mart. I removed my arms from my knees and gave him a confused look. "I thought we weren't stopping for a while." 

        The corner of his mouth twitched upward a bit. "I just need something. It won't be long." 

        Nodding, I slumped back in my chair, and looked out the window once again. Michael stayed seated in the car and I could feel his hesitation. The car became warmer than it usually would be with him inside and I felt the heat stir in my stomach. 

        Then in an instant, he got out of the car and slammed his door shut. I let out a breath of relief and watched him walk inside the small store. The car returned to its normal temperature that it should be and I felt the tension in my muscles relax.

        Whenever I was with Michael, everything was much warmer than it should be. The temperature would be warmer and the atmosphere felt almost hot and humid. Not dramatically but I guessed that it always felt this way because he was an Incendian. Maybe being these kinds of people had affected their surroundings. 

        I glanced at the time on the dashboard. It was nearly three in the afternoon. We had been on the road for about five hours and I was beyond exhausted. 

        The mini-mart slammed shut and I looked over to see Michael coming out, carrying a small plastic bag in hand. His mouth was set in a grim line and his hair was a flame shining under the sunlight. 

        Once he came over to the car, he got in without a word. He placed the plastic bag between us and I glanced over to see that it was another box of hair-dye. I couldn't see the color, but I could see the block letters splayed on top of the box. 

        Without meaning to, I let out a snort at Michael's hurry to get his hair dyed a new color. At the sound, Michael's eyes snapped to me and immediately a small smile was playing at his lips. Of course though, he didn't say a word as he backed out of the parking lot and onto the road again. And for once, the extremely tensed atmosphere between us lifted just a bit. Just a fraction.

+

        Ever since we had reached a cheap inn and checked in, Michael had stepped foot into the bathroom  of our room and hadn't come out all for the past three hours.