chapter eleven - trouble

CHAPTER ELEVEN - TROUBLE 

        "How do you know it was stolen?" I questioned, watching Michael pace back and forth on the empty parking spot. 

        "Because, who wouldn't want to steal a fucking Hummer?" Michael ran a hand through his hair again and scoffed. "I mean, Molly was gorgeous and the fucktard just--" he broke off as he realized that I was staring at him with wide eyes.  

        He sighed and put his face in his hands. "I'm sorry Aiden. It's just ... why would some asshat actually have the audacity to steal someone else's car? Like what the fuck." 

        At this, I rolled my eyes. "Do I need to remind you that you also stole the Hummer from someone else?"

        He immediately removed his hands and glared at me. "That is totally different. We actually needed the car." 

        I was about to argue back that stealing the Hummer was not really a different situation, but as I realized at how late and dark it was, it wasn't worth the time. The best we could do was walk back to the inn, get some rest, and try to find another car in the morning. 

        "Alright Michael," I sighed, walking over to him and placing a hand on his shoulder. He flinched at the contact and took a step back. My hand immediately dropped and it felt like something stung my chest. "We should ... get going," I mumbled, trying to make sure that my voice didn't sound hurt. 

        He nodded and we made our way off of the parking lot and onto the sidewalk. The street around us was mostly empty except for a couple we saw walking their dog and a man jogging across the street, and it made me realize that it was really late. The street was only lit with a dim street light every couple of feet and the night begun to get even more chilly. 

        The cold wind bit at my already red cheeks and I found myself wishing that I wore a much warmer sweater considering that I was already shivering. As I glanced at Michael a couple of times, I noticed how he wasn't even flushed at the coldness. He looked unfazed at the bitter weather and I grew just a tiny bit jealous that he probably will never feel the cold since he had fire running in his veins.

        In the next fifteen minutes or so, we were still walking. I hadn't memorize where the inn was and I was hoping that Michael did or else we were screwed. At the thought of us getting lost in this unknown town, I blurt out the question. "You do know where the inn is, right?"

        Michael snorted and shook his head. "More or less," he replied. 

        I let out a frustrated breath and gave him a serious face. "You're kidding right?" 

        He chuckled. "Yeah, I am." 

        Not sure if I should believe him or not, I clamped my mouth shut, and put my focus on the sidewalk ahead. I dug my hand deeper in my pockets and clenched my teeth. Oh my God, it is so cold...

        In a second, a group of laughter rose in the night and my head snapped up. Up ahead were a group of people smoking in the parking lot of a bar. The playing of loud music could be heard from where we walked, and soon the bar came into full view. I suddenly stopped my walking and Michael did so too when he saw me.

        "What?" He asked, looking at me in puzzlement. 

        "Do you-u think we c-could ask for directions to the i-inn?" I asked, my teeth chattering like crazy. At this point, I felt like I was experiencing hypothermia.