10: I'm Going To Miss Them.

It's been two days since my brother and his buddies left. Meaning two days without the twins looking over my shoulders wondering if I've eaten or if I'm alright. Honestly I'm definitely going to miss them. They were usually right there when I needed help with anything. I'm kinda glad my brother and I have patched things back.

Oh. The morning they were leaving two guys showed up at different times wondering if they could talk to me. Axel chased them off. One was the sheriff's son. The sheriff took his son with him and had a tow truck come for his car. I was happy his father came for him. I bet he's going to get a butt chewing out in the shop where his mama won't be allowed to go.

I finished mucking stalls out before cleaning water dishes. I then went out to the mares trough and dumped it. I scrubbed it out quickly and let several of the mares drink from the water hose that was running. When I was done with it, I refilled it with fresh water and left it to fill. Most of the mares are pregnant and are about to foal. Our mares birth in late May/early June. It's nearly foaling season here and I know I'll be busy.

When the trough was full I shut the water off and went to the yearling pen. These guys are lead broke and before I get accused by those that think they're too young to be ridden, I do not get on their backs until they are two years and eight months. I'm nearly the same weight as some of the western saddles and have done my research on the whole training. We really get into training the last three months leading up to the three year mark where they are mature enough to hold a rider.

If the rider is a two hundred to two ninety pound man, we wait six to eight months to let them grow a bit more. From the time they are three we pair them with a ranch hand who will form a bond with the colt or filly. Some of the fillies go to sales or breeding once they're six, so we've gotten some cow work into them.

After I finished their water trough I went to the two year olds. These guys get used to a saddleless cinch and girth. Along with stirrups that swing at their sides. We adjust them every time we work with them knowing they're still growing. It doesn't hurt them at all and I've refused to bit train any of the horses. The bit itself holds the tongue down and can cause the horse to not perform at its peek.

Every single one of our horses are neck reined. Meaning just a gentle touch of the reins on the neck will turn them. Everyone knows how to control a bitless horse and its up to the rider if they want to use a bit on that mount. We definitely encourage to check for tongue lacerations on that horse if they are using a bit.

I went to the three year olds and cleaned their water trough. A few of the hands are out training today. Most of these here will either be sold to another ranch at three or kept for other purposes. I finished their trough before going to get the one I was working with. I lead him around before sticking a saddle on his back.

I then put a bitless bridle on him and mounted up. He bobbed his head. I walked him around the ring then to a trot. The hot sun had made me discard my shirt at the two year old paddock. He started bucking. I squeezed my legs against his sides while reining him in. He responded with going back to a walk. After two laps of walking, we went back to a trot.

He trotted for most of the time. No more bucking after this session on a trot. Grandma rang the dinner bell. It had me dismount, take care of the colt and put him back in the paddock. I grabbed my shirt heading up to the house. This is going to be a long summer no doubt.