Unwelcome Visitors

'The Republic ship is hailing us Commander, what are our orders?'

The Nautolan handed over the datapad to Lexa, who only needed a quick glance at the radar reading to determine that this ship was not going anywhere. It was at least twice the size of the Helldiver and it clearly meant business.

'We could jump to light speed and lose them?' the Cathar suggested, but Lexa knew that it was not even a possibility and shook her head.

'They would only project a tractor beam to prevent the jump and we would be under even more pressure to explain our attempt to escape their advance if we have nothing to hide.'

'Incoming holo-message Commander,' Nova cut in.

The holotransmitter on Lexa's belt flashed not a moment later, and the Jedi detached the object and thumbed the button to accept the transmission.

When the glimmering hologram waved into existence, the Jedi was displeased to see a familiar figure staring back at her. A trim man in a neat uniform stood with hands clasped behind his back in an authoritative manner, his lips twitching into a smirk as he looked down at the ships captain.

'Sergeant Quill,' the Jedi said through clenched teeth, maintaining professional behaviour even when she wanted nothing more than to cut communications on the unpleasant man.

'It's Lieutenant now,' he corrected, his expression growing even more distasteful if possible. 'I hear you are no longer of any rank at all? It was certainly a shame to hear of your fall from grace.'

There was no sincerity in his words and Lexa could imagine that it had been quite the opposite when learning of the Jedi's fate.

Carl Quill had been a sergeant under the Republic command when Lexa had been similarly climbing the ranks during the Alderaanian war. Tension between the two had been present from their very first meeting, Carl never having possessed a very tolerant view of force users which did not bode well for any future relations between them.

The Jedi was almost tempted to make a dig about the potential bribery involved in the status increase but thought better of it. After previously holding the position of Battalion Commander, she was not about to bow to the underhand remarks of the current Lieutenant.

'I'm sure it was a well deserved promotion,' she settled for, knowing for a fact that Quill had never been the courageous type which made it very unlikely that he had earnt the position.

'I can confirm that I am indeed worthy of the role. Some people just aren't cut out for leadership.'

Lexa just stared at his hologram with a growing sense of disgust. This was one of the reasons why she no longer affiliated herself with the Republic forces. They only ever seemed to be filled with corrupt and power hungry individuals, with truly remarkable leaders far and few between.

'I have business of my own to attend to Quill,' she said in a sharp tone, not about to bolster his ego further. 'Is there any reason that you are tailing my ship other than to inform me of your new post?'

The man scowled when his proper title was not used but sensibly decided not to dwell on the instance.

'We have been observing the enemy activities on Hoth and of course your appearance just happened to coincide with the outbreak of a battle. I believe you are aware of the signal that was emanating from the civilian base? Or would you have us believe that it just a coincidence that, rather than leave the planet after your meeting with the Cathar, the base was your next destination?'

The Jedi was getting tired of this mans unnecessarily extended sentences.

'I saw the signal and went to investigate the base,' she confirmed rather more concisely. 'I was not able to determine the source due to the outbreak of the battle which you were so heroically observing from the safety of your ship.'