Deceived

Inside the Sky Palace there were a similar lack of lights as there had been outside. For whatever reason, the Zabrak had cloaked them all in darkness. 

'This reminds me of the good days,' Bellamy said quietly, even that sounding like a shout in the silent domed rooms that echoed with every noise. 

Clarke was hardly listening to his ramble, more intent on discovering where Kranog was. 

'Is this really the best time to be reminiscing?' she whispered sharply, her blaster raised and ready for any more security droids that might be lurking in the adjoining corridors. 

They were on the bottom floor, one of three levels that Clarke had noted from outside. 

'Maybe not, but you must admit, it brings back memories.'

That went unsaid. The two of them had been on quite the vast range of missions together in an effort to earn credits. Ammo and weapons were not cheap for a smuggler and a few side missions were required to raise the appropriate funds. 

This reminded her in particular of the task they had been set by a rather frantic Rhodian whose prized possessions had been taken by thieves and the two smugglers had been sent to retrieve the goods. 

Easy credits in the end. No-one had been home and the possessions were retrieved without a problem, but going after Kranog was proving to be far more of an ordeal. 

Everything was too quiet. The Zabrak must have been expecting them, but that wasn't to say he wasn't still inside the building. 

'Just keep your eyes sharp for any more of those droids.'

They scoured each room at a time, finding nothing but trophies of wealth and the odd statue adorning a passageway. Perhaps the Zabrak had abandoned the accommodation after being warned of their arrival. 

'This is useless,' Clarke said through gritted teeth, allowing the weapon to drop as they looked out into yet another empty room. 'Can't you see that all this is just one big game to Janos? He enjoys watching us run around at his beck and call.'

'It'll be worth it once he upholds his end of the bargain.'

Clarke shook her head at the man's short-sightedness. She was beginning to doubt that the crime lord had any intention of keeping his word. The only way they could win this was to play him at his own game. 

'We could do so much better than this. Why should we accept our fate as if we have no choice? We need to make a stand against him, bring this whole drama to an end once and for all.'

Bellamy did not take kindly to the suggestion, a hint of annoyance creeping into his tone. 

'My sister's life is at stake here. You may not care about that but I do, and if that means trading her survival for that of the Jedi's then its a decision I'm willing to make.'

'Well I'm not,' Clarke said bluntly, turning to look her friend straight in the eye. This was her only chance to change his mind. 'You're better than this. We can find another way to save her without having to sacrifice another life in the process. Trust me, that will haunt you forever.'

The smuggler remained unconvinced, not wanting to risk his sisters life for that of a stranger. On the other hand Clarke's words did resonate with him. This was not going to rest easy with him that was for sure, even if he did get his sister back. He wasn't heartless, but he was loyal to family before anyone else. 

'I can't lose her Clarke,' he admitted, knowing that his actions were being driven by fear of not seeing her again. 

'And you won't. Not if we do this the right way. What would she want you to do?'