fourteen

[ten months later]

"I love you so much, Soo Jin. Please always remember that. Even on Earth, you were an angel. In Heaven, you'll be one of the purest and kindest angels ever."

Soo Jin smiled. "I love you, Hoseok. Don't cry. Tears don't look good on your handsome face. Smile for me, my magician. All of this started with you and it's going to end with us."

Hoseok shook his head, crying. "I don't want you to go. I want you to stay here with me."

Soo Jin shook her head. She continued to stare at him sadly as he held onto her hand. His grip on her hand got tighter.

"Hoseok, this place has been my home for so long, but this society has never been good. In Heaven, I can start a new life. I'll meet you there, right? I'll be there waiting for you," she promised.

"What if I—"

"Don't," she said. "I already know what you're going to say, Hoseok. Don't ruin the rest of your life for me. You have a lot to live for. Don't kill yourself."

"I'm nothing without you."

"You're you without me, as you are with me," Soo Jin said. "Find your passion. Maybe you'll even find another woman to love."

"You're my passion, Soo Jin, and you're the only woman I'll ever love. Don't go," he pleaded. "I'm so lonely without you. Your laughter will disappear. The house will turn cold. All the food in the world will be bland."

She chuckled and squeezed his hand. "I don't get to pick when I die. Trust me, if I could, I would pick never. I love you, okay? My time isn't up just yet."

"But it's coming," Hoseok retorted.

"But it's not now. Now—shut up and love me."