Chapter 8

8. Cheyenne

"You're still young, there's still so much more that you can do," Fiona suddenly recites Uchida's words, breaking the silence as the two of us get off the station near our house.

The night is fully dark, yet a few people are still waiting to commute and arriving at the station. With the meeting with Uchida ending early, it's still not late into the night but the temperature is dropping by the second and the wind is quite strong.

"That's what Uchida said. What about it?" I ask Fiona, burying my hands inside the pockets of my jacket deeper.

A strange, nostalgic smile appears on her face. "Nothing, it just sounds like something my father would've said."

"My father was a very strict person, but at the same time also very caring. He tries to appear as if he was very unbiased, but I know he favors me over the two of my brothers," Fiona smiles.

"Must be nice having siblings. I always thought that Caden was my biological brother until I was about five, but he clearly is African American and I'm White," I chuckle. Chatting with Fiona about siblings has always been bittersweet. Both of us cherish our family the most and being with them brings our utmost happiness. And both of us don't have that luxury because we can't be with our family. Both of us share the same sorrow, loneliness, and guilt. It's just a matter of who is better at hiding these things.

The story I hear floating around the fellow Rusts are similar; they talk about someone who passed because there is not enough money to support, not having enough money to the point that they have to sell their bodies, and even more.

"It's okay. We're going to be okay,"I ruffle Fiona's hair. She casts me a small smile, a smile so reminiscent of the little girl I met on the streets 3 years ago, her platinum blonde hair in disarray around her face, her eyes comparable to that of a wild beast's in contrast to her lanky figure.

We were wary of each other, even almost hostile at certain times. Now, I understand why her eyes looked the way they looked back then. Those were the eyes of a person who experienced betrayal. I wonder what kind of eyes do I have according to her back then.

"Hey Mark, speaking of. We should do some research. I didn't quite catch the full speech in the Diamonds area's stores," Fiona says.

"We should. We might find more than we expect this whole time,"

-xxx-

"Citizens of Portland, I am AV. Representing our group, the Equalists. For 13 years, our Republic of North America has transformed its initially equal and just society into the discriminating society as we remember back in the early 21st century. We have fought for equality. Between the genders, the norms of sexualities, the different races and between locals and immigrants. A Republic of North America that was full of diversity and unity used to exist, but it is by the actions of the government that has divided hs and rendered the efforts of our ancestors useless. Diamonds, Gems, and Rusts. Since when did levels of income matter to segregate us within the society? Through this division, resources have not been allocated any better. In fact, it has become a loophole for those with authority to corrupt and opress the poor even more. Stop this corruption. We have to get back to the equal society that our ancestors have created for us. Join the Equalists. Join our movement," The voice recording says in a female voice. Although she speaks softly, her words sound cold and patriotic at certain times. Her voice is softer than Fiona's, but definitely not less courageous.

"That was... One patriotic speech," I tell Fiona nonchalantly, switching the HD-3X710 off. "I almost believed it, but her words are way too idealistic. It was a motivational speech, sure, but I believe Uchida more this time. What's going to happen after this revolution happens? The Republic is already as messed up as it is,"