『Chapter 6』

I'm an incompetent, stupid human being who doesn't know how to what the concept of "Keeping with a Schedule" means!!! That's all I have to say.

Anyways, hope you enjoy the chapter. It's extra-long so hopefully it can make up for this stupid hiatus (it doesn't). I will surely try to get the next one out much sooner.

~~~~~

Things aren't necessarily simple. Then again, they never have been.

Especially for Mal.

She grew up on the Isle of the Lost, first of all; that's been far from simple. Secondly, making the transition from evil to good; it'd be a lie to say that it's as easy as the words themselves.

Lastly, making friends, trusting those you choose to be associated with, well that's hard to come by. Mal is not the person to accept someone as they are. Being an Isle native, she can never judge a book by its cover. She has to read the entire story.

So when it comes to befriending Hela, Mal can't say that they're friends just yet.

She's only met the girl just once. It doesn't automatically signify a friendship. She barely knows anything about her. Of course she trusts Ben, so when he says that Hela's cool, she can believe it. But only learning a person by a third party is never viable, though it does fill in the blank pages.

However, one thing is certain. Hela is an unread book. And Mal wants to read more pages from her story.

Maybe then, Mal can be sure that Hela will be a good friend, someone she can trust.

She'll admit, she's not the best at making friends; she's better at making enemies. Though, she knows what it means to earn trust. Being an Isle of the Lost native girl, trust is something hard to come by. It's rare but not as rare as a Wi-Fi signal on the island. Hence it's very valuable to Mal. If it wasn't, then she wouldn't have her tight-knit group.

So she has her reasons to want to know Hela a little more.

But getting just a moment with the (returning) "new" girl is beginning to feel a lot like trying to get a nonexistent Wi-Fi reception on the Isle. It's impossible, besides it being a couple hours since she first met her. At the very least, she'd expect to have a class with her since they are in the same grade, but as it turns out, Hela takes advanced-level classes in the morning where Mal does not. The only advance class she does have is Magical History III. It should be known why. Mal may not be book-smart but she makes up for that for being street-smart.

Nevertheless, where Hela is out of reach, Ben makes up for it. Two meets in one day, that's far more than Mal's received the past weeks. It's a good thing Ben is a man of his word.

Now with the sun peaking in the sky, lunch hour has commenced, and right when that bell rings, all the students rush out of their classrooms like a stink bomb exploded. They all work for their chance to get the best food before the pans are empty.

Fortunately, Ben and Mal were the lucky few to grab the meals they wanted without having to compromise. They were out of the lunch hall before the dread of claustrophobia could set in. They cascade down the shallow steps, intending to walk through the path that'll lead to Mal's usual table.

Ben holds his and her filled trays, balancing them easily in his grip, and he follows beside Mal to their table even when he knows which and where the table is.