t w e n t y - t w o.

After helping Tyler into his car, you hopped into the driver's seat and pulled away from the damned house that had become your prison. You shuddered as memories came back to you and dared you to relive your pain and sorrow. Snapping out of it, your attention shifted back to the road as Tyler tried to make small talk with you.

Tyler directed you to his house as you two engaged in superficial conversation. Unexpectedly, he quit the small talk and delved into deeper and more meaningful topics.

"Why haven't you tried to escape?"

The question took you aback and made you consider its implications. Why hadn't you? All Dark had done to you was abuse and torture you. But what about the special times you shared with him? Did they mean absolutely nothing? He could be sweet and charming when he wished.

"I'm sorry, that was too blunt and none of my business."

"No, no, it's alright. I actually have no idea, Tyler."

The rest of the car ride was silent creating a thick atmosphere of awkwardness. Finally, you arrived at his house and were relieved of the awkward tension as you helped him inside.

"So, this is home," Tyler announced as the two of you stepped inside. You let your eyes wander around the house and soaked in the new sights. The house was not large, but it was comfortable. It suited what Tyler needed it for.

"Would you like a tour?" He offered with a slight chuckle.

"Um, sure!" You replied with a smile. Tyler offered his hand and you took it, letting him lead you through the house. The tour finally ended in his bedroom as he began to gather up clothes.

"I'm going to take a shower. Feel free to make yourself at home. Mi casa es tu casa," he said before exiting the room leaving you alone.

You took a seat on the edge of his bed and were at a loss of what to do. Twiddling your thumbs, you looked around his room. Your curiosity begged you to go through a few of his things, but you brushed it off as you admired the posters on his wall and began to understand Tyler more. Curiosity still pulled at the back of your mind and was relentless. Finally, you gave in and stood up, determining to search the room.

You first reached his bedside table and quietly pulled out the drawer to find nothing of interest. Letting out a sigh, you approached his dresser and looked on top of it to find different common items until something caught your attention. A piece of paper was tucked underneath a glasses case. You slipped it out and quickly unfolded it, eager to know its contents. The writing was hastily scribbled, but thankfully still legible.

Tyler,

I think you probably know why I'm writing this so I'm going to try to keep it brief. He's coming, Tyler. I don't think I can keep holding him back for long. But, I don't need your help keeping him back this time. I'm asking something different this time. I need you to monitor him. While he's out, I will only be able to see what he's doing through his eyes until I gain my strength back to fight him. Tyler, he's been watching someone. A girl. He's been watching her for some time. I'm afraid he's going to act out on it this time. I don't know why or how, but I just feel it. You have to protect her. Please don't let him destroy her. I want you to make a connection with her and use that to help montior Dark and ensure her safety. It'll be difficult, but I know you can do it. I'm sorry this letter is really all over the place. Thanks for everything you've done and for being a great friend. I hope to see you soon.

Mark

Your head spun slightly as you soaked in the words on the page before you. Mark knew about Dark watching you? Dark has come out before? Why did Mark trust Tyler with this? These questions filled your head and clouded your mind. You nearly jumped out of your skin when you heard the bathroom door behind you close.

"I forgot to grab my boxers-" Tyler began but cut himself off as he saw your drained and pale face. His eyes glanced down to the note in your hand as realization hit you. "Oh, you found that. You weren't supposed to know about any of that, (Y/N)."

"Why?"

"I can't tell you that. It's between Mark and I."

"What's even going on anymore?" You whispered as the world began to spin.

"Hey, sit down before you fall," Tyler said as he ushered you to the bed before you collapsed.

"Thanks," you weakly replied.

"Do you want me to get you anything?"

"No, I'm fine. I'm just very confused."

"Let me change out of this towel really quick and I'll be right out," Tyler said as he shut the bathroom door.

----------

After Tyler had changed, he led you out of the bedroom and to the dining table. He told you to stay there as he prepared a meal for the two of you. Your mind raced with questions and theories as you waited for what seemed like forever. Finally Tyler appeared with plates in his hands. He placed them on the table before quickly grabbing two glasses of water and placing them on the table as well. He took a seat from across from you and let out a long sigh before speaking.

"Listen, I know you're confused, (Y/N). I completely understand that. But, I can't explain it all to you just yet. It's 'confidential' between Mark and I, but I will try to answer the questions that I can," he offered with a smile.

You took a large bite out of the sandwich in front of you before voicing the questions that were pulling at your mind.

"Dark has come out before?" You blurted.

"Yes. I can't really find the words to describe the process, but when Dark gets strong enough, he basically takes over all of Mark's body, including his limbs and his mind and brain. Once this happens, Mark is almost pushed to the side or like a corner of the body. Mark can then only see out of Dark's eyes, but can't control any of the body anymore until he regains strength to put Dark back."

You nodded as you soaked in the mew information. "How did Mark know about Dark watching me?"

Tyler let out a sigh. "I have no idea with that one. Mark has never explained that to me. I'm guessing he could just sense it or something."

"So I'm guessing you don't know how Dark was watching me separate from Mark, either."

"I'm afraid so, sorry."

Suddenly, something in your mind clicked as a large and ominous question formed. It made your face turn pale as your previous thoughts and opinions were turned upside down.

"If Mark knew about Dark watching me, then why didn't he try to stop him?"

[Guys next chapter is going to be INTENSE. A lot of things will be uncovered and will click in your head. This book is getting crazy! Love you guys♥:)]