𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 5

Panic

Panic.

Her entire state of being was trapped in the utter sense of helplessness that threatened to consume her, pulling her into its wretched clutches, squeezing around her lungs until she couldn't breathe and her vision swam, distorting the slate gray walls of the dimly lit room she'd been stuck in for so, so long.

There was pain everywhere, like she'd managed to somehow ingest fire and it was slowly, agonizingly burning her inside out. Her limbs felt like heavy lead, and her mouth tasted like rusted iron, and everything was blood red.

Someone was calling for her, and she looked up to see her team staring back at her in terror, fear and anger twisting their features as the cold barrel of a gun was placed against the burning skin of her temple.

She couldn't breathe. She wasn't even sure if she was alive at this point. She kind of she hoped she would die soon, just to end the seemingly endless hours of torture.

(Y/n) frowned as the voices continued calling for her, furrowing her brows in confusion when they began merging into one.

Light?

What was he doing here? A new wave of panic swept over her as she began struggling once more. He couldn't be here. He had to be safe. She was supposed to have died before it could get this bad.

"(Y/n)!"

With that final call, the young woman's eyes snapped open as she jolted awake, looking around wildly as reality merged with the remnants of a bad memory, feeling thoroughly disoriented and out of place. Finally, it registered that she was in her room. In Japan. On the other side of the Pacific and far away from the horrors that had plagued her sleep.

Her wide gaze landed on the familiar face that belonged to her brother, her heart still hammering in her chest, becoming a dull thrum in her eardrums. Swallowing thickly despite her parched throat, she wordlessly sat up and pulled her little brother into a tight hug, feeling like she needed a physical reminder to ground her to reality.

Light didn't question it, letting his sister fist the material of his nightshirt, rubbing at her back and hoping it was a soothing action since he was more or less at a loss on how to deal with one of the strongest people he knew breaking down like this. He could feel her back shudder as she drew several uneven breaths, shaking slightly while she stubbornly blinked away the tears blurring her vision, refusing to cry.