𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 16

Matsuda shot (Y/n) an empathetic smile as he patted her shoulder

Matsuda shot (Y/n) an empathetic smile as he patted her shoulder. "They'll be here any minute now."

She nodded, pressing her lips together and turning towards the door again. She wasn't nervous per say about seeing her brother again, but with his memories of Kira being blocked, she'd have to tread carefully around Light now. It wouldn't do to have him wonder about the changes in her behavior towards him after all. While he was Kira, he'd been too distracted by his 'mission' to take much note of the growing distance between them, but now that he wouldn't have constant scheming in mind, he would probably pick up on it.

Light was emotionally intelligent. Or, he had been before the Death Note entered his life, bringing with it delusions of godliness that to Light meant that he no longer required extensive sensitivity for those around him.

Now, as she watched the door knob turn, (Y/n) tried to remember the Light she was about to face; the little brother she'd grown up with and who she'd sworn to protect when they were still children and their world didn't need to go beyond their home and the neighborhood park.

When the door opened, she saw her father first. Tired, a little older, but smiling when he took note of her presence, taking heavy steps forward and raising his large, warm hand to rest on her head in the same awkward but genuine way the Yagami patriarch expressed affection.

Suddenly, (Y/n) felt like a little girl again, happy to just have her dad back home as she lay her head against his shoulder, her arms wrapping around him to rest against his broad back.

"I'm here now," he murmured to her, his lips just barely brushing her forehead. His presence was, as usual, an unspoken promise of safety which is what had painted the image of 'Superdad' that the Yagami kids associated with their father.

The older she got, however, (Y/n) quickly understood that dad wasn't a hero out of some manga. He was just an honest man doing his best to live with his head held high, and somehow, that made him even greater as far as she was concerned.

"I know," she muttered, pulling away with a small smile. "It's good to have you back, Dad."

Over Soichiro's shoulder, her gaze met big brown eyes that seemed to become glassy when they found hers. For a moment, she could only stand still, oddly fascinated by how different they looked when they weren't burning with a deep resentment for the world and its inhabitants. They were the kind of warm that had once made her believe that Light's fire could be the hearth that makes a house a home.