Chapter 21

Morning light streamed into my eyes. I stretched. Leaves tickled my sides, my fur..no my skin. I bolted up, looking around at Jonah, who was now a human. I ran a hand over my skin, alarmed at what I found. My shirt was a ripped up scrap of fabric, my pants too and they barely covered what needed to be. I clasped my hands to my chest. Where were we? And how was I supposed to walk all the way back to the house in this state? Jonah's eyes fluttered open sleepily.

"Good morning," he said before yawning. "Now that wasn't so bad was it?"

"My clothes, they're gone." He glanced down at himself.

"Crap. Did I not pour enough enchantment on your clothes?"

"When did you enchant my clothes?"

"When we first brought them to the house. We didn't want them to all rip while you shifted. The stuff at the bottom must've escaped my notice."

"What am I supposed to do?" He pulled his shirt off from over his head.

"Wear it like a dress." I tugged it over my head and crawled out of the den. The shirt fell below my mid thighs, close to my knees like a dress. He emerged out of the den after me.

"You should wear more of my shir-" He stilled. "There's someone here."

"Where."

"Get back in the den."

"Where are the-"

"Now!" I crawled back inside and waited. Mostly, I was irritated. I didn't have socks, shoes or any of my owns clothes, now I was forced to wait in here for his paranoia to pass. He shifted back down into a wolf. To my surprise, voices came nearer.

A dog barked and its noise came closer. "She's close. Very close."

"Maybe she escaped into the woods. That would make our job much easier." I peeked out from the den and watched two police officers come closer. My heart dropped to my stomach. Salvation.

"Anything is possible," his partner said.

"Darl," the first officer said, stopping in his tracks. "Is there anything in the protocol that says how to handle a giant wolf?"

Jonah growled lowly. "We can kill it if it threatens our lives."

"That's exactly what it's doing." He pulled his handgun from his holster. "Kill it if it attacks." My legs seemed to move by themselves as I crawled out of the den and threw myself in front of them.

"Please, I'm here. Save me!" Jonah lunged, knocking the first officer down and biting down hard into his shoulder. His partner fired, but she missed and hit the ground. Jonah lept and bit into her ankle, sinking into the bone with a crunch. I grabbed the gun of the fallen police officer and cocked it, taking aim at him.

"Stop it, or I'll shoot." He stopped moving, shifting back into a human.

"I told you to stay inside."

"So I could waste my one chance of freedom? Never in a million years."

"You ungrateful-"

"Yeah, I just love being locked inside all day, not allowed to see my parents and wondering if I will ever get to leave this godforsaken town again. Honestly, what the fuck do I have to be grateful for!" My hands shook with anger.

"Put down the gun," he commanded.

"If you don't let me go, I'm going to kill you." My grip on the gun trembled, but I tried my best to keep it steady. "I swear, I won't hesitate to shoot you."