Chapter 28

In my room, I spritzed myself with perfume until the scent of spring flowers was overpowering. I didn't know how well it would work to hide my true scent, but it was all that I had.

I put a hoodie on before I put on my coat. Stuffing my hair under the hood, I checked both directions twice before I finally went outside. The air was chilly, as I expected it to be in October. Or was it early November....how long has it been since I got here anyway? Two, three weeks? I counted back the days as I walked down the deserted streets. God, I don't know.

Every few minutes I looked over my shoulder. I couldn't get over the creeping suspicion that I was being watched. If I was caught now, not only would I be in trouble, but Nia and Iris would be punished too. A front door creaked open behind me. Panic surged through me at that moment as I ducked behind a bush. I kept my face calm and willed my heart to keep racing. Jonah would know if I didn't control myself. He'd figure it out if I wasn't careful enough, which only meant I had to be stronger.

I went completely still as she walked in the opposite direction. Werewolves have a good sense of smell. She'll know I'm here. I took a deep breath, slowing my heartbeat as it threatened to pick up with fear. I don't know how long I can keep doing this--willing myself to be a statue at all times. She turns her head in my direction, eyes planted on the bush I'm hiding behind. I screw my eyes shut and think of school. Not good thoughts, not bad thoughts. He'll think I'm still in a slump after watching the news, but calmer.

After a few agonizing minutes, I opened my eyes. She was only a silhouette against the autumn sun now. I uncurled my hands and studied the half moons my nails had left in my palms. It was safe to keep going.

I walked the rest of the short distance to the twin's house. I looked up at the window.s I didn't want their brother, or their mother to answer. I sucked my teeth. Foolish me--why didn't I think about that before I came here? We should've agreed upon a signal or something. My eyes drifted to the fence.

Grabbing onto the rail, I hoisted myself up and over so I was treading through the crisp, yellow grass. I picked up a few pebbles from the ground and scanned my eyes over the windows. There were boyband and astrology posters decorating one room, and unless they had another sister I didn't know about or Ezra was into Korean pop it was probably one of the twins.

I threw three pebbles at the window before Nia and her black and red braids became visible through the window. I waved and she mouthed a few words. Moments later, the back door swung open. She stuck her head outside. "Come in before anyone sees you."

She closed the door and locked it behind us. "My mom has been gone for a week at a national council of witches. They're working on something really big and for our cases, really bad, come on, my sister is downstairs."

We passed all the jars and vials again to the table from last time. Nia pulled her poncho closer to her. Their basement was cold, colder than outside. I stuck my hands in my pockets and looked at both of them. "How's the Wolfsbane coming?"

"We've had to steal time away to work on it," Iris said, placing her hands on the table. "It became much easier when our mother lest for that convening of witches, but our brother still gets in the way."

"Where is he now?"

"Out. We set him up on a date to get him out of the house." She studied my face. "I know how you might have felt about him, but you must understand the situation we're in."

I waved my hand as if to wave her concerns away. "I would never put your brother in danger that way again." Or let Jonah corner me like that again. "Tell me of your progress."