Chapter 24

I woke up groggy and confused. My limbs felt stiff and breakable. I sat up, finally aware I was still on the couch. My head rested against his chest. He looked into my eyes. "Good morning."

"How long have I been here?"

"Since last night."

"And you didn't wake me up?"

"You looked tired." I roll off him and onto the floor with a light thump.

"You should've woken me up."

He reached out a hand to me. I took it and righted myself. "I don't mind."

"I do."

"We're mated, it shouldn't bother you."

"Well, I don't like it."

He shrugged and lied back down. I swept by gaze over him. When did he take off his shirt? Was I sleeping on his bare chest all night? He kept his eyes closed when he began to talk. "You shouldn't stand and stare--it's rude."

I looked away. "Sorry."

"Why stare when you can have the whole experience." I rolled my eyes as heat crept into my face. He laughed as I turned and left the room to go upstairs. Only a little more of this for a little longer.

"It's going to be an all-out war," the Luna whispered at breakfast time. "They're going to storm the town." Both she and her husband seemed to have aged years in a matter of years. I think I spotted grey in her long black hair.

"We're going to be ready. We're not going to let the government trample all over us."

"What if we just gave her back, would they let us be?"

"Absolutely not," Jonah said, a little too loud. "I mean, her parents knew the deal. She spared them, they don't get the right to go back on their word and as soon as the national council witches can concoct something that will make Americans forget about this, we'll deal with them."

"Imani, what do you think?" The Alpha asked me. I paused, mid-way through a bite of my omelet. No one had asked me for my opinion on anything in almost the month I'd been there.

"I don't know, but I miss my parents." That at least was the most truth I can reveal.

"Do you want to go back?"

I pressed my lips together. Fingers stroked the back of my neck, moving to my collarbone, to the mark...

"Jonah! Not here!" His hands dropped to his lap.

"Well, I hope you know Imani that the best place for you is here. Selena doesn't make mistakes."

"No," Jonah's mom said nervously. "The moon goddess doesn't make mistakes. She put you two together for a reason."

I'd like to know it.

I picked at my food as they talked. "Right." I was only waiting on the last batches of Wolfsbane to be created and the spark that would set off the perfect time to escape to go off. The Alpha's phone rang. He picked it up and left the room. The Luna sucked in a breath. The color had drained from her face already. He came back in.

"Jonah come with me."

They left the room for another five minute. I turned to Lara, whose hands were trembling. "What's happening?"

She didn't answer me. She clasped her head together and tipped her head towards the sky like she was praying. Soon they came back in. Jonah's father spoke first. "We have to go. There's been conflict." The Alpha kissed his wife on the cheek. She stifled a cry. "I'll come back, don't worry."

His mother and sister followed them into the entryway as they hugged their goodbyes. This was a personal family movement. There's was no need for me to be here. Jonah walked up to me and crushed his lips against mine. I made a noise of surprise and leaned back. "What's going on?"

"We're going to fight the U.S soldiers. They've breached the fence because we didn't meet their demands."

"Are you going to come back."

"Don't worry, I'll be fine." His lips settled back on mine, drinking me in.

"No time for that." His father said behind us. "Hurry. I need to convene with my soldiers." They left with a slam of the door. His mother broke down crying as soon as the door closed.

"No mom, you're the Luna, you have to be strong."

I didn't feel like crying. The only sadness I felt was not my own--it was the feelings I was picking up from Jonah. I was excited almost, and it made me feel guilty. But I was almost free, so close I could taste it.

I spun around and looked at Lara. "Is Jonah old enough to be fighting? He's only seventeen."

"Boys seventeen and up."

"And not girls?"

His mother narrowed her eyes. "What are you saying?"

"Nothing, I'm just worried about him."

"Of course," she crushed me to her chest. "We all are. But I'm glad you dropped the ice you had towards him."

"Yeah...I'm glad too." I really am. It gave me much more freedom.