Chapter 22

A short chapter, because the next one will be very long. We're nearing the end guys, but there will be a sequel. Also thanks for the reads and votes. Love you guys. :)

                     -Burnt Witch

The witch gave them a potion to wipe their minds and they were driven to a hospital twenty miles away. Tensions rose as the national guard moved in to surround the historical old family side of Evansville. When I was allowed to watch T.V I caught glimpses of it all. They were going to invade soon. I had to move fast and get my Wolfsbane.

Hands encircled my waist as I thought. He'd been doing this more often this past week. Maybe trying to be nice to make up for what he did. It wasn't going to work. "Come eat something."

"I'm not hungry." My eyes were glued to the T.V and the video of my parents who were making another media appearance. I missed them.

"Watching this only going to make you sad."

"I'm already sad." He rested his head on my shoulder.

"Once this is settled, once the national council acts, your parents can visit more regularly. Life will go back to how it was."

"You're keeping me locked up here like a bird of paradise in a cage. I need to be free."

"You're not a captive here. Wait until things simmer down and you'll have more freedom. We're all a little trapped in here." He hands moved from my waist to play with my hair. I had taken out the braids, bored out of my mind and twisted my shoulder-length hair.

"Please eat something. You haven't eaten all day."

The pictures on the screen changed as a tear rolled down my eye. "I'm not hungry."

He wiped the wetness from my cheek. "Please."

"I hate you," I said with all my willpower. "I hate you, your family and this little hell on Earth you call Evansville. Fuck you and your council."

He played with the stands of twists, not saying anything. We'd had this same conversation the whole week. It always started with the eating and then the hatred. My heart panged. What I hated most--that I couldn't even believe my own words. I hated that I couldn't bring myself to despise him. Something just wasn't letting me.

"You haven't eaten since yesterday morning. It's been more than a day."

"I'm fasting. Just go."

"Not until you smile and come eat something."

"You're making things worse." He tickled my sides. "No stop it." I started to laugh--belly rolling laughter that came out of my stomach.

"That's better."

I closed my eyes and sank into the pillows of the couch. "If you bring me something to eat, I'll eat it."

He smiled a close-lipped smile. "What do you want?"

"I dunno, something with chicken? Or maybe beef."

"I'll ask the cook."

He left the room and I turned off the T.V. I couldn't stay in my thoughts like this--it was only confusing me and blinding me from the true goal. Wolfsbane. The answer to all my problems. Ten minutes later he came back in the room, holding a plate of food. The smell traveled to my nose. I inhaled deeply and my stomach rumbled. I really was hungry.

He handed it to me and I tore into it. Leftover pot roast from the dinner last night that I refused to eat. He sat next to me as I ate. When I came up for air, he began to speak. "My parents are thinking of moving you to another location somehow. Probably a beach house on a private island of ours. It'll be safer there."

"For who?" I said, wiping my mouth.

"Are we going to have this argument again?"

"All we do is argue.

He clenched his jaw. "For the both of us. At least for the time being."

"No."

"We can't be here when-" he stopped talking and closed his mouth.

"When what?"

"Nothing."

"When what!"

"When the army comes!" He snapped. "Don't pretend you don't already know--you're probably waiting for them." His shoulders sank as he watched my face. "I'm sorry."

"No, don't be. You're right--I am waiting for them." He inhaled sharply, feelings clearly bruised. But I wasn't the one who was going to spare them. "I can't wait until the day they bust through that door and see what you truly are."

"You're a werewolf too."

"I meant a monster."

He held out his hands to me, palms up. "I'm trying my best. I wouldn't have been able to live without you."

"You should just died."

"Tell me what you want from me. Why won't you let me in." My tongue was heavy in my mouth. Where could I start? He attacked those police officers, he beat up Ezra, took me from my parents and before that he was a jerk. He wouldn't be giving me a second glance if I hadn't been his mate. He wouldn't have even treated me with an inkling of respect.

"There's nothing you can offer me."

"Money, cars, houses, diamonds, love. If you want a kingdom, I can give you a kingdom."

I almost laughed. "A kingdom. How would you do that?"

"I'd do anything if it meant winning your love."

"You'll never win my love. You don't deserve it."

"I'd make you my queen if you'd let me."

"I'd like to see you try," I rolled my eyes. "Maybe when you give me a kingdom we'll talk again."

He sighed. "How long are you going to fight me?"

"Forever. Now go, I'm sick of you." He left the room, shoulders sagging. His emotions cast a shadow on me. Had I been too harsh? Surely he deserved it--but to say that he should've just died, that might have been too much....

No--he could've killed Ezra. I couldn't forget that I couldn't get soft. I had to stay focused. Wolfsbane, Melinda Markus. I needed to find a way out of the house.