13

"It's quiet in town." Hamilton muttered to himself as he strolled the empty streets of New York.

He kicked a pebble and watched it roll down the sidewalk. God, he felt stupid for cheating on his dear Betsy. There was nothing in the world he could do to change that. If he could travel back in time, the first thing he'd do is bitch-slap his past self.

Alexander sighed. He hated himself so much. And Maria too, of course. There should've been another way he could have helped her. Like in a non-sexual, non-romantic, legal way.

He walked in the park, it was long after dark. He felt like he could walk the length of the city. Philip would've loved it here, where's it's nice and peaceful. Alex imagined all the poems Philip could've written here in the serenity.

He wandered around the empty park and found himself sitting on a bench. Alexander took a deep breath. There was barely any light in the park, only the moon's light illuminating the way.

He placed his hands on his lap, fiddling with the buttons of his jacket. Hamilton gazed straight ahead, like he was waiting for something strange to happen.

"I-Is this seat t-taken?" A soft femenine voice asked.

"Uh, no. Not at the moment." He said. Alexander didn't even bother turning.

He heard soft shuffling next to him. Alex assumed the woman seated herself down on the empty spot next to him.

The two strangers sat therein total silence, Alexander still looking out the horizon.

"It's quiet in town." She said.

"Y-yeah. It is." Alex mumbled as a reply.

The woman sighed. "I always liked the quiet." She stated.

"I never liked the quiet before."

The mystery woman chuckled. "I'm assuming you're one of those loud, busy people, huh?" She said. "The type who hates the idea of silence because, to them, it's a reminder of the many things they can still do. Those people see silence as something unproductive swines enjoy. Those people think silence is a waste of time."

Alex cocked an eye brow at the woman. This woman can read him so well with just one spoken sentence. And, mind you, they didn't even look at each other yet. Maybe Alex should enjoy silence more.

He examined the woman. Short dark brown curls tucked underneath a blue bandana, smooth coppery skin, intelligent brown eyes. This woman looked somewhat familiar.

"Shocked?" She asked.

"Are... are you a wizard?" Alex asked.

"A what?" The woman said in confusion.

"A warlock maybe. Or perhaps a fortune teller!" Alex said, his mind coming up with weird ass conclusions as usual.

"Or maybe someone who's just observant." The woman replied, finallt making eye contact with Alexander.

"That seems unlikely."

The woman chuckled. She seemed young, maybe the age as Philip or perhaps a year or two younger. Alex could see the two getting along.

"In all seriousness, how can you tell?" Alex asked. "You've read me like an open book."

"Well, sir, when you enjoy the silence and live life in a slow smooth pace, then you tend to notice other people."

Alexander looked at her in amazement. There were very few bright youngsters these days. Philip and this woman would definately be good friends. Or worst enemies. You never know with Philip.

"I'm being rude. My name is Madeline Lewis Reynolds."

Alexander's mind stopped racing. His heart began pounding. He came to this damn park to forget that name and now it's here to haunt him again.

"R-reynolds?" He asked in disbelief.

"I suppose you've heard of my mother's affair." She sighed. "That damn pamphlet ruined our lives. Now Susie-- she's my sister-- and I are a laughing stock. I can barely make it out to the front yard without someone calling me a whore or whatever."

That made Alex feel somewhat guilty. He felt pity for this young lady. She didn't deserve bad treatment because of something her mother did. Then again, his wife and kid had gotten bad treatment from the affair too. It just never occured to Alex that the other side of the story was deeper.

"How old is your sister?" Alex ventured.

"Six."

"Jesus." Alex muttered. "And you?"

"Seventeen."

So she was a year younger than Y/n and Philip. Okay then.

"How is she?"

"Who?"

"Your mother..."

There was a small silence as Madeline thought of a way to answer Alexander's question.

"Well, great I guess." Madeline said then let out a chuckle. "She's talking non stop about how two young genius lawyers will solve our problems, how those two lawyers will get my mom a divorce."

Another silence as Alex ingested the new information. Dammit. He could have just given Maria the divorce she wanted and never ever see her again.

"Can I ask who those two people are?" Alex asked.

Madeline smirked. "You of all people should know, good sir." She answered, standing up. "Your son is one of them after all. Good night, Mr. Hamilton. You should've been more observant."

With that, the young lady left Alexander angry and confused. Philip had something to do with Maria the whole time? Why didn't he tell his own father? All he mentioned was a damn case with Y/n Jefferson and--

That's it. The case. This is why he's kept the damn thing a secret? Because it was for Maria, the woman who ruined their lives? That Madeline girl was right. He should've been more observant. He should've pieced the puzzle long before.

Anger boiled inside Alexander. Not for the Reynolds' but for his own son, his pride and joy. He felt somehow betrayed by Philip.

The next time he sees him, he'll let Philip know what he knows.

●♧●

A/n: THIS IS WHY ALEX LEAVING TO GO OUT WAS SIGNIFICANT, whoever asked it. I forgot. Sorry.

Damn. Pippy boi gon get some father-son talk!

Kudos to my chicken nugget fren Madeline. I made you seem better than you really are :')