17

A/n: also yalls quit hating on mar mar being over dramatic. I mean, do yall
w a n t  a new mary ship or not-

●♤●

Thomas was extra pissy at work today. Dark circles rested under his eyes, and his hair was a mess. He looked just like Alexander Hamilton did when the man pulled an allnighter and over worked himself.

James Madison stopped by on the way to give him some coffee like every other morning. He knocked on the wooden door, but no answer.

"Yo Tom?" He called. "It's James!"

No response. Usually Thomas Jefferson was more than happy to see him, to the point people teased them of being "boyfriends".

"Tommy?" He called again. "The coffee'll get cold."

Again no response.

With no other choice, James walked inside. And, oh boy, did the sight before him look terrible.

Thomas was hunched over his desk, stacks of papofs surrounded him. His eyes which usually held smugness was now filled with sadness and heartbreak, loneliness and fear.

"You look like hell." John said, walking over and setting his coffee on the oak wood desk.

"I just came back." Thomas replied.

"Okay, what happened?" James asked. "You seriously look like shit, my dude."

"Well..." Thomas began explaining, telling his bestfriend and colleague what the hell happened last night. Thomas may have cried... okay he did cry.

"Damn."

James suddenlu felt bad for encouraging his son to go for Y/n. He also felt bad for Thomas, he loved his daughters more than anything and one of them just ran away.

"I'm so worried about her James." Thomas said, running a hand through his poofy hair. "How's my sweet Mar Mar gon' survive?"

"She's a smart girl, she'll be fine." James said.

"I know she's smart. She is my daughter after a-- not important now." He said. "What's important is I find her. I drew some missing fliers, see?"

Thomas held up a piece of parchment with a... uhm... okay, James couldn't quite tell if the drawing was really good... or really bad. He offered a forced smile and a small thumbs up.

"Uh... good job?" He said.

Hey, Thomas needs his love, okay?

"Thank you. I think these'll help greatly." Thomas said, geasturing to the entire stack of hand writen, hand drawn missing Mary fliers.

"Okay?"

"Where do you think she ran off to? She's probably here in New York right? Or maybe Jersey or Boston or Quebec, if she can manage." Thomas asked, worry lacing his tone. "My baby's on her own."

"I mean, where's the worse she can off to? France?" James said. "Heh. What are the chances of that?"

Oh, you poor cinnamon roll. You have no idea how high those chances are.

●♤●

Okay, Mary's conflict. There's a ship heading straight to France, but there's a problem that comes with that ship. She had no money to pay for the ticket. So that means she has no way of getting in.

Or is there?

You see, before Mary stepped into the docks, she headed for a pile of crates. She opened her bag and pulled out the knife she took.

She grabbed a fistfull of her brown locks and sliced it away, repeating the process until her hair reached the tips of her ears.

A smile graced her plump lips, just by doing that she felt so... free.

She unpacked a shirt and pants and began to change. Mary would be lying if she said it wasn't more comfortable. Damn, why the hell did she wear a tight corset when she could've worn this?

Mary threw the dress aside and placed the knife back inside. She pulled out the pistol and tucked it underneath her shirt.

She closed her bag and stood up. This woman was no longer the Mary Jefferson she used to be, now she was Tobey Jacobson, a young Virginian man on the way to work at France.

Okay, back to her situation.

There were two options Mary (or Tobey, whatever) could explore. One being to steal a ticket from an actual passenger and the other is asking the captain for a ride in exchange for labor.

She saw that the first option was more risky but much more simple, allowing her to board the ship with little to no suspision. But if she was caught, the worst they can do is send her to prison, which means she has a higher chance of being with her "family" again.

The second, however, will have her endure hardships but will not make her end up in prison. All she'll have to do is work hard enough to earn a place as a temporary crew member.

She decided to try the first option, if she couldn't manage to steal a ticket then she'd have no choice but to work.

There was also the option of hiding in a crate and getting smuggled on board but she decided to try that as a last resort.

So Tobey (or Mary, whatever) scouted the area. She looked through the crowd of sea men and passangers.

Her brown eyes landed on some aristocrats or something. She could tell from their fancy clothing and the handful of slaves around them. It was a painful reminder of back when she was one of them. The thought made her sick. Homesick.

"It's now or never." She muttered to herself and made her way to the aristocrats.

●♤●

A/n: okay okay

This is v important,,,

How should Mary get aboard on the ship? (Comment below and dont reply on the other comments pls)

A. Stealing a ticket

B. Working her way to get a safe trip

C. Jumping into a crate and hoping for the best

Also, do you prefer me calling her as Mary or as Tobey?

A. Mary (she/her pronouns)

B. Tobey (he/him pronouns)

I personally pefer Mary bc i m used to it,, but it ur choice ppls

Also, kms i forgot abt maria and her problems whoopsies-