Part 2

Jennifer looked down at the woman's hand and hesitantly took it. It felt weird to be close to someone physically even though it was just the palm of their hands touching. It was the warmest thing she has felt other than the gin that ran down her throat. She knew she needed to answer the girl with her own name but she couldn't bring herself to let words escape her mouth. Taking her hand away quickly she took a nervous sip contemplating if she should leave.

"Are you alright?"

Looking over quickly Jennifer clenched her jaw trying to search for the reason this woman was so interested. Scanning over her face all she could find was big brown eye's staring back at her and tiny dimples that were hidden behind her frown, "My name is Jennifer."

Smiling the girl sat straighter to let her back stretch, "Well Jennifer, you look like you need a shot." Holding her arm in the air Aurora tried getting the old man's attention, "ODIS TWO SHOTS! PUT IT ON MY TAB!"

"You don't have a damn tab." He replied pouring the drinks. "Just pay for the drink's like a normal human."

Ignoring him Aurora handed one glass over and waited for the older woman to clink their glasses together. "To wild Friday nights!"

Watching the girl swallow her drink whole Jennifer thought about what meant. It was just another Friday. She forgot how other people used the weekend to have fun. Sniffing the liquid she tilted her head back letting it run down her throat. She felt the burn but decided against coughing so as not to bring more attention to herself. Watching the girl pour more Jennifer suddenly became curious. "Do you live close by?"

"Sort of." She answered putting her head into her hand, "I'm sleeping on my friend's couch down the street."

Nodding Jennifer watched the girls eyes turn back to the TV that played a commercial advertising a furniture store. There was something so interesting about how the girl let her eyes become glued to the screen. She seemed to have a problem with focusing on one thing at a time. It made her seem younger and more carefree. "You must not be from here."

"No ma'am, I'm an Oklahoma gal."

Raising her eyebrows Jennifer connected the dots and realized she did have a slight accent. "Why New York?"

She tilted her head to the side genuinely thinking about the question, "I'm not sure."
Reaching across the counter she grabbed the bottle Containing the rest of the alcohol and filled their glasses up once more. "I hope you don't have to work tomorrow."

"I wasn't planning on it." Jennifer replied quietly throwing back her head to drink.

"What do you do?"

Freezing she thought about the truth. If she admitted her success Aurora would probably bombard her with questions and use her like everyone else did when they found out she had money. Battling within herself Jennifer avoided locking eyes, "I make Jewelry."

Already loosing interest Aurora took a few peanuts from the bowl and cracked the outer shells with her palms, "How long have you been doing that?"

Jennifer watched the younger girl carefully push away the shells so they wouldn't touch the part she wanted to eat and continue to crack some more, "Since I was 20."

Looking up surprised she grinned, "Do you love it?"

Biting the inside of her cheek she realized Aurora had no idea who she was. That made her feel a little more comfortable, "It's just a job ."

Finally satisfied with her pile of peanuts she ate them one by one while glancing up at the TV to make sure the score didn't change. "Why don't you do something else?"

Jennifer chuckled, "I'm too old for career changes."

"You could be a day away from dying and not be too old to make yourself happy."

Letting her smile disappear the blonde locked eyes with the younger woman, "You think it's that easy?"

"Nothing in life is easy!" Aurora yelled spinning herself around in her stool.

Leaning back on the corner of the wall Jennifer wondered how it seemed so simple to some people. It didn't seem that simple to her.

Sensing the woman's change Aurora sighed, "Odis, come tell Jennifer about this place."

The old man shuffled over rubbing his hands together. He always enjoyed sharing his memories with those who were willing to listen. "I opened this shop in 1999 after working as a garbage man for 27 years. I was so excited to go home and tell my wife about our new beginning." He paused while wiping his hands on his apron, "I was an hour too late. She had passed away in her sleep."

Taken back Jennifer opened her lips slightly to say she was sorry but stopped when he continued.

"If I wasn't so scared I could have seen her be proud of me one last time."

"How do you get over something like that?" Jennifer asked letting her nails grip the napkin.

"You don't sweetie." Smiling he revealed two missing teeth and a large cavity that was untreated. But his eyes sparkled and his wrinkles showed how many laughs he has shared, "This place is all I have now believe it or not. I sleep in the basement and wake at dawn to open. I have no kids but I have made the people who come in to drink away their problems my family."

Aurora gave a tight smile and looked back over at the older woman. She decided against commenting any further as the blonde sunk deep into her thoughts for a couple of minutes. Her fingers brushing up against her sweaty glass and her chest rising and falling delicately. 

"I just don't know how to do that."

Not skipping a beat Aurora leaned over, "You should do something crazy. Something you would never do in a million years."

She scoffed, "Your saying get a tattoo or commit a crime and my problems will be gone?"

Shaking her head the shorter woman jumped out of her seat and started putting on her coat. "I'm not saying your problems will be gone, but whats stopping you from trying? There's a tattoo shop down the street."

"No no no!" she rejected waving her arms, "I am not getting a tattoo!"

"If you keep saying no Jennifer you will live your life with regret." Walking out the door the girl disappeared into the night leaving her alone with the Odis.

"What do you have to loose?" He questioned taking the glasses away. 

Sighing Jennifer handed over some cash, "Because there's no need for me to mark myself up like a thug to prove I can do crazy things!"Getting out of her seat she started making her way to the door. 

"Don't end up like me Jennifer."

Stopping she turned around.

"I'm a lonely man because I couldn't take a chance."

Tapping her foot on the carpet she let her shoulders fall knowing she was defeated.

Giving a wink he waved, "I hope you can make time to come see me again."

"Me too." She replied walking out the door. Looking around she wrapped her arms around herself remembering she was coatless. Finally seeing the girl half way down the street she started walking towards her, "Aurora!" Catching up to her she let her teeth chatter. There was so much she wanted to say but no words would come out.

Smiling the young girl turned towards the store they stood outside off, and motioned for her to follow.