Chapter 2: Too Easy

The next day, everyone was back in the squad room.

" So," Cragen said. "What do we know about Linda Jacobs?"

"54 years old, recent widow and she's a multi-millionaire ," Stabler said.-

"How recent?" Cragen asked.

"About six months ago," Benson said. "The husband died from cancer."

"Alright, so it probably wasn't a boyfriend."

"Hey, you never know," Finn said. "I used to know this douche who got a new girl two weeks after his wife was hit by a car."

"I don't know," Olivia said. "She didn't seem like the type to me."

"Well, forensics didn't get a match on the DNA found inside Linda, so we've got to look at everything. This guy is apparently a first time offender, and something is telling me it's personal."

"Of course it is," Finn said. "Who the Hell rapes an old lady for fun? We've had a couple of real bastards come in here, but this is just sick."

"I can't wait to find this guy and bash his head in," Stabler said menacingly.

"Easy, Elliot," Cragen warned. "This is what got you in trouble in the first place."

Elliot's eyes narrowed. "Are we gonna have a problem here, captain?"

"Not if you control you learn to control your temper," Cragen said.

Elliot got up right into Cragen's face and stared him down.

"Alright, that's enough you two," Olivia said sternly, sounding like a mother disciplining her kids. "We have a lot to do today and nothing will get done unless we're together on this."

Everyone was silent for a moment. "Olivia's right," Cragen said, finally stepping away from Stabler. "We don't have time for this. Finn, Rollins, you go check out the gym Linda was at last night. And you three go talk to Linda again and see if she has any enemies."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 EQUINOX FITNESS CLUB : 1:35 PM

Rollins and Finn stormed in to the gym and went up to the woman at the front desk. 

" Hi, may I help you?" The overly enthusiastic woman asked.

"Sorry miss, we're not looking for a gym membership," Finn said, "I look pretty good right now, anyway."

"We're detectives from the Special Victims unit," Rollins said, rolling her eyes at Finn in the process. "We were hoping you could help us with some information about one of your customers." 

"Oh, um...of course," she said. "What do you need?"

"We wanted to ask you a few questions about a woman who goes here. Were you here when Linda Jacobs came in last night?"

"This is about Lin?" the woman asked. "Oh my gosh, what happened to her?"

"Linda was attacked last night after she came here," Rollins said.

"....Oh my God," the woman said, "I can't believe it. She's one of my favorites here. She always comes in and talks to me before she goes to her water aerobics class....such a sweet woman."

"That's why we really want to find the jerk who did this to her," Finn said. "Do you have any idea who might've done this? Maybe someone who didn't like her, someone who has a thing for her..."

"I don't know, I can't really think of anyone....Hold on. There was this one guy, his name's Rob Morris. He comes in here every Monday and Friday,  for the water aerobics class. I remember Linda asked me if she could switch to the Tuesday and Thursday class instead, just so she could avoid this guy." 

"So he was a jerk," Finn said.

"No, he was never rude to her or anything. He was just.....odd. She told me he would always try to  look down her bathing suit during class, and he used a bunch of bad pick-up lines on her. It made her feel uncomfortable."

"So did she switch out of the class?" Rollins asked.

"No, I tried to switch her in but the class was completely full. I asked if she wanted to drop the class and I could try to get her some kind of refund, but she said no. She said she was just going to confront him and tell him she wasn't interested.....oh god....do you think it was him?"

"We don't know at this point, but we will definitely look into it," Rollins said.

"Oh God....It was definitely him. He's such a creep! I should've known...."

"It's okay, sweetie, it's not your fault," Rollins said. "You did the right thing by telling us, and if it is him we can put him behind bars."

"Thank you," the woman said. "I have all of his information in our database, since he's  a member here. Do you want me to give you his address?"

"That'd be great, thanks" Rollins said.

"We might've just solved the case," Rollins whispered to Finn.

"Amanda, I've been doing this shit for more than 10 years," Finn said to her. "Trust me, it's never that easy."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 RESIDENCE OF LINDA JACOBS: 2:14 PM

Elliot knocked on the door to Linda's place, but she didn't answer.

"Linda! It's detective Benson and Stabler from yesterday. We need to talk to you!" Benson yelled, hoping Linda could hear her.

"Alright! Hold on one second!" she called. A minute later, Linda opened the door. "I'm so sorry," she said. "I was just getting out of the shower."

"That's alright," Benson said. "We just wanted to ask you a few quick questions, than we'll be out of your hair."

"Well...alright. I thought we were done with the questions yesterday, though..."

"Don't worry, this won't be to long," Elliot said as they took a seat in the gorgeous dining room. The chandelier probably costs more than my car , Elliot noted.

"Linda, we think this was a personal attack," Benson started. "We were wondering if you might have any enemies, anyone looking to hurt you..."

"I'm sure plenty of people would like to hurt me," Linda said coldly.

"What do you mean?" Stabler asked.

"Ever since my husband died, people have thought I have it so easy," she said. "Just because I have money doesn't mean my life is perfect, you know."

"I understand," Benson said. "Do you know anyone specific who might have a grudge on you?"

"...I can't think of anyone who hates me enough to....do this to me," she whispered.

"No one that has seemed jealous of you, wanted revenge on you...-"

"-I'm sorry, but I really have to get going," Linda said suddenly, cutting them off. "I really have to get going. Thank you for coming."

"Let us know if anything changes, we're only here to help," Benson said as they walked out the door.

"Yeah, uh huh, thanks," Linda said absentmindedly, shutting the door.

Benson and Stabler walked to the car in silence.

"What do you think that was all about?" asked Stabler. "She seemed fine, than all of a sudden she shut down."

"She's hiding something," Benson said, glancing back toward Linda's place.

"And I thought she was just a sweet old widow," Stabler said.

"I guess you've been away too long, El," Benson said. "Because there's always more to it than that."