Epilogue

Olivia wasn't completely sure what was keeping her in the squad room, but here she was, sitting at her desk while it was close to midnight. She just didn't feel like going home tonight, and besides, she was really behind on paperwork. Brian wouldn't miss her too much.

"The whole 9 to 5 thing really doesn't apply to you, huh Liv?" called a familiar voice. Olivia watched in astonishment as Elliot walked over to her desk.

"...Elliot," Olivia said breathlessly. "What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same thing," he replied.

"I thought you were still suspended," Olivia said.

"Just until this case was wrapped up," Elliot said. "Amaro told me you guys solved it today. That was one mess of a case."

Olivia laughed. "You're telling me," she said. "I can still barely believe it."

"Amaro told me you were able to reunite Adam and Linda," Elliot said, giving her a warm smile. "Nice work, detective."

"That family was falling apart," Olivia replied. "I felt like I had to do something."

Elliot just shook his head. "I've been away for so long I almost forgot how amazing you are at this job," he said. "You're really something else, you know."

"Thanks, El," Olivia said. "I'm just really glad your suspension is over. It's good to have you back. So you can come back any time now?"

"Yup," Elliot said. "I'm a free man."

"So when will you be coming back?" Olivia asked.

"I won't be."

Olivia nearly gasped. "What?"

"I'm not coming back, Liv," he repeated.

"Any particular reason?" Olivia asked. She just didn't get it; Elliot had missed SVU so much while he was gone; this job was his life. He'd said it himself.

"Believe it or not, I actually took Cragen's advice," Elliot said. "This job is my life, Olivia, and it's not healthy. I've lost my wife, my kids, and my sanity over this job, and it's just getting to be too much."

"...Elliot..." Olivia said. "You could always just take a break. Maybe a vacation would do you some good..."

"I took a break for years, Liv," Elliot said. "And I did miss it here. But that didn't make it any easier. I still got angry and I still lost my temper and it still eats away at you, this damn job. I wasn't... I just wasn't happy."

Olivia slowly nodded. "So...what are you going to do? Now that your done with SVU..."

"When Kathy and I separated, she took the kids out to California to be closer to her mom and her sister," Elliot said. "I haven't seen my kids in 6 months, Liv. I have to go."

"Good for you, El," Olivia said. "Do you know when you're leaving?"

"Tonight," Elliot replied. "Flight leaves at 2 AM."

"Tonight?" Olivia asked, obviously in shock. "You're leaving tonight? At 2 in the morning?"

Elliot shrugged. "The tickets were on sale."

Olivia shook her head. She couldn't help but laugh. "Some things never change, do they?"

Elliot gave her a smile. "Things change. People don't," he said. "I'm glad you haven't."

Olivia suddenly felt tears stinging at her eyes. "So I guess this is it," she said quietly.

"Not forever," Elliot added quickly. "You know I can't stay away from this place for too long. I'm sure I'll be back, you know, somebody has to keep the new kids in line..."

Olivia laughed even as she felt herself getting closer and closer to breaking down. They both knew what he was saying was a lie. Elliot would never come back. His time at SVU was done. It was time for him to move on.

"So I guess I better get going," El said finally. "My flight leaves in an hour."

"Oh, yeah, of course," Olivia said a little too quickly. "I wouldn't want you to miss your flight."

Elliot gave her a forced smile. "Take care of yourself, Liv," he whispered.

"...You too, El," she said shakily. "Tell Kathy and the kids I said hi."

"Of course," Elliot said.

"El?"

"Yeah, Liv?"

"...Thank you. For everything."

Elliot paused for a moment. "You were the best partner I could have asked for, Liv. I should be the one thanking you."

"No, you don't have to thank me," Olivia said. "You were always there for me, El. No matter what. And that...that meant the world to me. I'll never have another partner like you."

Elliot went over to Liv and took her hand, and suddenly she felt him putting his strong arms around her. "I'll always be there for you Liv. No matter where I am or where you are or...just, if you ever need me, I'm here. In a heartbeat."

Olivia wiped at her eyes. Surprisingly, she hadn't started crying yet. She could still feel the tightness in her chest, but at the same time, she was happy. Genuinely happy. She had a good feeling. Elliot was going to be alright.

"...You're probably going to miss your flight, El," Olivia said.

"Don't worry about me, Liv," Elliot said, flashing her a smile one last time. "I'm going to be just fine."

No one officially said goodbye, there were no tears. When the moment finally came, they didn't need any of that.

Elliot never had believed in goodbyes. He didn't see this as an ending. Tonight was just the opposite of that. This was a new beginning.