Chapter 5: Cruel

SVU SQUAD ROOM: 8:33 AM

"Alright everyone," Cragen said as everyone gathered around. "Here's what we know from yesterday. Rob Morris and Rick Feldman were both cleared. We've got a new lead, Linda's son, Adam Jacobs. He lives in Queens on East 8th street. Benson, Amaro, go check out Adam's apartment.The rest of you should get back to work."

" Got it, captain," Nick said.

"I'll drive," said Olivia. Nick tossed her the keys.

_--------------------------------

"Man, I guess Linda really doesn't have anything to do with her son, huh?" Nick said as they walked down the hall of the apartment building. It looked old and run down, most of the people looked poor.

"Yeah, I guess it's no secret that Linda's not helping pay the bills."

Nick went up to the last door on the left and started knocking. We heard a good deal of commotion and yelling before the door finally opened. A young blonde guy opened the door holding a baby in his arms.

"Adam Jacobs?" Benson asked.

"Yup, that's me," he said.

"We're detectives from the special victims unit," she said. "We're here to ask some questions about Linda Jacobs."

Adam's face went pale. "Callie!" he called.

"Yeah?" she yelled back. A second later a young, pretty brunette walked into the room.

"Can you take Gabriel?" Adam asked, handing the baby off to Callie.

"Um..sure," she said, as she noticed Nick and Olivia. "Adam, what's going on?"

"Nothing," he said. "They just want to ask some questions about my mom."

Callie rolled her eyes. "I hope something awful happened to that bitch."

Nick and Olivia gave each other uneasy glances.

"I'll just be a second," Adam said, dismissing Callie's last comment.

"Alright, I'll be in Gabriel's room."

"Adam, why don't we all sit down," Nick suggested.

"Okay, but this has to be quick. We've got to take Gabe to a doctors appointment."

"Alright,": said Olivia.

" Now, what's going on with my mom?" he asked. "Did she do something stupid?"

"Adam, you're mother was attacked two days ago."

"What?" he asked, looking genuinely surprised. "I can't believe it...."

"You're girlfriend seems to think she deserved it," Amaro said.

"I don't think anyone deserves to be raped," Adam said quietly. "But she's really not the greatest person. Callie was right when she called her a bitch."

"What did she do to you?" Olivia asked.

Adam sighed. "When I was 17, I accidentally got Callie pregnant. It was a complete accident and we didn't want it at first, but neither of us believe in abortions. So we decided to keep it."

"I'm guessing mom wasn't too thrilled about that," Amaro said.

"Are you kidding?" he said. "She just handed me a check and told me to get rid of it. I refused, so she took her money back and kicked me out of the house."

"That must've been tough," Olivia said sympathetically.

" Not that she cared," Adam said. "We had no money and had to move into Callie's aunt's basement...It was awful. And one day...one day we ran out of money completely, and we didn't have any food. So I decided to suck it up and go to Mom's house. I begged her for just a little bit of money, or even just food. I told her my baby was gonna starve...but she just didn't care. She slammed the fucking door in my face."

Nick and Olivia didn't know what to say.

"And that's not even the worst thing she's done," Adam said.

"She sounds like a real piece of work," Amaro noted.

"I don't really even care about the way she treated me," Adam said. "It's what she did to dad that made me hate her."

"What did she do?" Olivia asked.

"She just didn't give a damn about him," Adam said. "She was off having an affair with some loser while my dad was dying. She didn't care about him at all, I always knew that, but I thought she'd at least have the decency to stand by him while he had cancer. But the day he died, I was the one there, me and Callie, we were all he had. He died knowing my mom didn't give a shit about him."

Once again, Nick and Olivia were speechless.

"Do you know anyone who might've had a particular grudge against your mother?" Amaro asked. "Anyone who hated her for what she's done?"

"Our whole family turned on her when he died, and I'm glad they did. She deserved it," Adam said. "My Aunt Barbara and Uncle Dan hated her the most, though. when he died they went to my mom's house and started pounding on the door, calling her a bitch and saying that they were gonna get her. They blamed my dad's death on her, said that he would've kept fighting if he wasn't so depressed about my mom leaving him. I didn't blame 'em."

"I wouldn't either," said Olivia.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------