Chapter 12 Change

SVU SQUAD ROOM: 2:45PM

"Do you think I'm doing the right thing?" Linda asked. She bit her lips nervously and tugged at her sweater.

Olivia gave her a warm smile. "I know you are."

"Do you think he'll forgive me? Even after everything?" Linda asked.

Olivia sighed. "I don't know. But I do know that you're doing the right thing, and I have a feeling that eventually he's going to see that."

"I hope you're right," Linda whispered.

Olivia felt Linda grasp her hand tighter as Adam walked into the squad room, his eyes searching until they landed on her. He scowled and turned to Olivia.

"I thought you said this was just you and me," Adam said. "What's she doing here?"

"She needed to speak with you," Olivia said.

"I don't have anything to say to her," Adam said, refusing to look Linda in the eyes.

"She has something really important to give you," Olivia continued.

"Don't really care," Adam muttered.

"It's from your father."

Adam met Linda's eyes for the first time. She was still frozen with nerves.

Olivia slowly handed Adam the envelope Linda had given her. Adam carefully opened it and pulled out the check inside. When he saw the amount written on it, his eyes went wide with shock.

"...What the...where the Hell did you get all this money? And why are you giving it to me? How did you-"

"Your father hid it in the basement when he was really sick," Linda explained in a soft voice. "He...he wasn't thinking clearly, because the cancer spread to his brain-"

"I remember," Adam said.

"And, well, he just...he never got to tell us where he hid it before he died," Linda said. "I just found it a few days ago."

"But why are you giving it to me?" Adam asked.

"Because you're my son," Linda whispered.

"In blood, maybe," Adam said bitterly. "But you haven't exactly been there too much, mom."

Linda sighed. "I know, I know," she said. "I was just so...angry when you... you got that girl pregnant."

"Her name is Callie," Adam spat. "And she's your daughter in-law. She's the mother of your grandson."

Linda looked down at her feet. "Look, Adam, we both made mistakes here, and I know it's going to take a while and a lot more than a check to get things back to the way they were. But...but I want to get there, Adam. I'm really trying now. I know I haven't always been around for you...but I want to be now. If you'll give me a chance."

Adam paused. "I...I don't even know where to start," he said.

Linda looked at him, her eyes starting to water. "I...I'd like to meet my grandson, if you don't mind."

Adam looked at her with thoughtful eyes, as though he was trying to figure something out.

"Are you busy now?"

"What?" Linda asked, looking stunned.

"I mean...you can meet him today. You know, if you're not busy..."

"-No! I mean, not at all. I'm not busy," Linda said quickly. "I'd...I'd love to meet him."

"Gabriel," Adam said.