Chapter 9

I didn't have clue what I was doing.

Several arra had passed since I agreed to help Eliro, but little progress had been made. Obtaining even the most basic information he requested has not been easy. Opportunities to eavesdrop on their conversations were few and I had not once seen Juleen. As if Faedra knew what I was up to, she kept me busy with menial tasks nearly every day. I had not served a meal since spilling water on Eliro.

Our first meeting, he had not cared that I didn't have any major information. I don't think he expected much and he knew I did not have control over what I did during the day. The second time we met, he was disappointed, I could tell but remaining encouraging. He had been patient for the most part, despite my lack of quality information. For that, I had warmed up to him and even looked forward to our meetings in the garden. He always greeted me with a smile, one that became harder and harder not to return upon seeing him.

Eliro was pleasant company and good at carrying a conversation. Each night we met, I shared whatever I able to, but it was Ro who would continue the conversation. He was always asking me questions, some about how humans lived in Aurael and others that were more personal. Determined to keep a safe distance between us, I answered carefully and asked very few of my own questions. It was only recently that he began to grow more impatient at my lack of progress.

"This is just gossip," he said when we last met, frustration clear in his voice. He was right, the story I overheard was nothing more than petty gossip. I'd overheard two socialites speculating about Ro's continued presence in Aurael. They hoped he was looking for a suitable female. One of them heard he was already promised to Ilya.

"You said you wanted to know everything."

Ro's eyes had narrowed at me in a dangerous way that would make some run away. I didn't fear him though.

"Is it true?" I couldn't help but ask and when I did, he grinned and I realized I'd walked right into a trap.

"What if I was?" He asked, amethyst eyes glinting with amusement. "Would you be disappointed?"

"I don't care who you tie yourself to," I lied. If he were truly promised to Ilya, it would be devastating. Not because I wanted him for myself, the only thing between us was a tense friendship; but, because Ilya was dreadful.

"You can't lie to me," he said knowingly.

"Why not?" I asked, feigning disinterest. "Some gift of yours?"

"I don't need a gift to know you're lying, Meikev," he said confidently. "You would not have asked if you didn't care." He took a step closer to me and reached out to play with a strand of my hair and offered up the answer to my question without making me admit to caring. "I'm not promised to anyone."

My expression remained carefully neutral at his words and I quickly changed the subject.

"I am trying," I promised.

"I know," he said. "Try harder."

Ro walked out of the garden without so much as a goodbye that night. I wanted to chase after him just to smack him for the way he left. Arrogant Morri. Try harder, like it was as simple as that. I hated to watch him leave, yet again, disappointed by my lack of progress.

Working for him was thrilling and terrifying at once. It gave me control over something in my life and was one of the only decisions I ever made for myself. Each time I arrived with no information and he walked away, I wondered if it would be the last.

Annoyed by his words, I did as he said and tried harder.

The following morning, I sent Analiese off without me and waited at the bottom of the stairs until Danielle made her way. Stepping into her path I tried for a friendly smile.