Chapter 5: The Unknown (revised)

'How did she know?' Ash thought to himself with worry. Though, in the back of his mind, he knew he shouldn't be too surprised. His raven hair and very tan skin tucked underneath his cap is very recognizable, though his skin has gotten far darker after his time training in the Battle Frontier.

They all stood there like statues for the better part of a minute before Bonnie finally spoke up, breaking the tension in the air. "So is this a bad time, or...?" She muttered, trying to prevent this from becoming too awkward.

Ash suddenly instinctively flashed up his watch and called out his Scizor who formed a Metal Claw. Anabel also had her watch flash out her Metagross, who stood ready for anything.

Said actions quickly had the Kalosian girl on the defensive, as she was not expecting such hostile reactions, but then again, she shouldn't be overly surprised. Bonnie rose her hands quickly. "Woah! I'm not trying to start anything!" She promised before muttering under her breath. "And I thought this would be simpler..."

Ash rose an eyebrow. "What would be simpler?" He asked her, still not letting his guard down.

Bonnie took in a deep breath and let it out, finally managing to calm her racing heart somewhat. "Do you guys... have a few minutes?" She asked them in a small voice.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

"So what you mean to tell me..."

Ash sat up from the ground he was sitting upon as they listen to Bonnie finish her story in the clearing. Scizor was still on guard, but Anabel was nice enough to return Metagross to help Bonnie not stress out about the amount of eyes on her. Both were wary too, but could tell there was complete truth in Bonnie's story.

"... is that you never wanted to betray me?" Ash finished.

Bonnie shook her head, a sad glance as she looked down. "Of course not. I just wish I had a say in what I wanted back then, but with Clemont basically taking care of me more than my dad does at times, and me not being a trainer, I had no choice. Especially with Dedenne at risk."

Anabel sighed frustratingly. "People are just cruel. To think they threatened you with a Pokemon to make you agree."

"Yeah..." Bonnie looked in her purse to see a sleeping little mouse in there. "I'm just glad Dedenne is with me permanently now. For an entire year after the others gave up on you, I felt like they had something over my head. After you left, I almost felt like Clemont was at my neck trying to make sure I had nothing to do with you anymore. He even attempted to get me to let him travel with me, which I am pretty sure I know why he wanted to now."

Ash nodded. "I understand, Bonnie. But now that you know, what about the others?"

Bonnie shrugged, an uncaring expression dotting her face. "Luckily they don't really care about me anymore. Clemont would care, but he is a day behind the rest of us, so he shows up tomorrow, and I'm allowed to have my own room at the Hotel. So if I can avoid him, then I can probably just stay with you two for a while."

Ash frowned. "If they're a day behind, then what about the ceremony?"

"The Kalos Gym Leaders, Elites, and Diantha get a by on the ceremony due to weather. The Lumiose airport is getting rained out according to my dad." Bonnie stated.

"Alright then."

Bonnie then gestured to the pair with a smirk on her face, eager to change the subject. "So what's up with you two and the whole calling each other dear and honey, huh?"

Ash and Anabel blushed. "We needed an act to fool Max, so I just decided to wing it. Luckily Anabel caught on."

"It wasn't the smoothest acting I ever tried, but it got the job done." Anabel shrugged, hoping Bonnie would drop it.