Chapter 8: Determination

Ash and Anabel were sitting on the couch in their room as they waited for the Plateau officials to release the next matchup announcements. Both of them were also curious about who all was in their group of battlers, as that part was never disclosed to anyone except the officials.

"So we had my two old Kalos friends. Who else do you think?" Ash asked.

"Supposedly they said that each pool had certain trainers that balanced around unknown trainers and prevalent trainers, like champions."

"So we may have to face an elite team?" Ash wondered aloud.

"There's always a chance."

*diiing*

Ash pulled out his phone. "Here are the matchups."

Anabel pet Espeon lightly. "What are they?"

"Bonnie and Sawyer got nobody important, Lillie and Hau... oh this will be fun. It's Brycen and Drayden. We got... oh we got the twins from last month. Remember them?"

"Yeah. Daniel and Jake. The ones that finish each others sentences." Anabel inferred, her attention not diverted.

"None of the Brains got anyone important. Oh wow. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I feel bad for Cilan. Him and Chili got Sydney and Phoebe from the Hoenn Elites. They need all the luck they can get." Ash chuckled.

"Well you can knock him off your hit list." Anabel smiled.

"I guess. And... that's it. Looks like none of us got many interesting matches. And ours is in two days at three o'clock. So what do we do tomorrow?"

Anabel thought for a second. "Maybe we could try the new extension of the Battle Buffet that opened here."

Ash grinned. "Oh that will be fun."

Anabel giggled at the reaction. "Yeah. But let's make sure to go in disguise. I'll also speak to Tucker and Lucy and see if they want to go. Anyways, what time is it?"

"About six. Why?"

"Then we have time before dinner." Anabel flashed her watch and released a little yellow lizard.

"Your shiny Charmander? Why?" Ash asked.

Anabel pulled out a candle. "Use a light Ember on this candle, Charmander."

The fire starter nodded and released an Ember on the candle. Anabel grabbed the now lit up candle and placed it on the coffee table across from Ash. Anabel then grabbed the office chair that they had in their room and sat across from him.

"It's the thing I told you about before our battle today. Trust me, you'll like it." She smiled.

Ash rose an eyebrow, but relented as he sat up. "Alright. What do I do?"

"Form an Aura Sphere real quick."

Ash formed the aura based attack with little trouble with his right hand. "Ok, now what?"

Anabel then pushed her hand forward and closed her eyes. Suddenly, the sphere took on a purple outline.

"Espeon, cut it in half with Iron Tail."

The Psychic cat's tail took on a metallic sheen as Espeon split the sphere. It didn't explode though, like it would in battle. Instead, two Aura Spheres floated there right in front of them, holding the same purple outline as before.

"Now you absorb the first one." Anabel told him.

Ash did so while Anabel absorbed the other one, much to Ash's surprise. When they did, the candle turned Violet. Espeon and Pikachu let out a light gasp at the sight of the candle change while Ash rose an eyebrow at it.