I Have Seven Older Brothers Instead of One

The heavy weight of the Soc, who happened to be an overweight college football player, was suddenly lifted off my chest, and I rolled over so I was on my hands and knees rather than my back.  I felt bile rising in my throat, and I spit out the metallic tasting liquid.  It looked like red drool, and I realized it was blood mixed with whatever had been in my stomach.

        I was roughly dragged to my feet by all the guys, but I immediately pulled my arms out of their grasp, regaining my balance because my vision had still been spinning.  I could hear the clamour of their voices but I was still too dizzy to make out who was who, so I insisted, "I'm fine," so they would at least shut up. They had all sounded concerned, but it's not like I was going to die or anything.   I furiously wiped the back of my wrist against my mouth, it came away streaked red from the blood that was smeared around my mouth and seeping from my split lip.

        "Why didn't you pull your blade?" Dally asked, sounding exasperated but not really mad. 

        I wiped the blood out of my right eye so I could glare at Dally, seeing how long it would take him to figure it out.  He stared pointedly back, long enough for Two-Bit to say,

        "What's the deal?  Is this a stare fest?"

        "No, she was just seeing how long it would take for Dally to blink," Steve retorted sarcastically.

        "You still didn't answer me," Dally said, irritated.

        "I would love to have pulled my blade," I said sarcastically, "But you took it this morning," I added matter-of-factly.

        For once in his life, Dally looked almost sheepish, but the look passed quickly.  He didn't say anything, just turned away, and we all started heading home.

        Pony came up behind me.  "Are you sure you're okay?  You don't look so good," he said sympathetically.

        "No one looks good after getting jumped," I remarked.  He smiled slightly, and then Soda, hearing our conversation, said,

        "Maybe you should take it easy for a few days.  Pony's right, you look pretty banged up and kind of pale."

        And then of course Steve had to repeat mockingly, "Yeah, take it easy for a few days, Tara."

        I glared at him, catching a concerned glance from Johnny.

        "I'll be fine," I said, annoyance showing in my reassuring tone at their concern for me.  But in all honesty, I really did want to take it easy for a while. I hurt all over, I was nauseous and had a headache, and I'm pretty sure I had more than one bruised rib, that Soc probably weighed 300 pounds.  I suppose I could have just let them fuss over me and quit trying so hard to hide how much pain I was really in, but I am not going to be the typical damsel-in-distress that the guys saw in every other girl.  I wasn't a wimp, I could take a beating every now and then.  Not that I wanted to though, I honestly wish the damn Socs would just leave us all alone