Ponyboy Just Decided to Haul Off And Hit Me

I was walking to the lot after school, wondering if Dally had gone to work today, because he was passed out on the couch surrounded by beer cans when I got up for school this morning.  I was betting on probably not when all the sudden I heard the purr of a car engine behind me.  I glanced to my left, not thinking much of it, until I noticed that the car was a Mustang.  Which meant trouble, but not really cause I was up for a fight today.  I'm not sure why though.

        The car pulled to a stop and three Socs got out, and I knew I was going to get jumped and they were going to get their butts kicked.  They were all members of the football team I noticed, partly because of their stature and partly because of the fact that they were wearing jerseys that they were about to get blood all over.

        "Look at this little lonely greaser girl walking all by herself," one of them jeered, cooing like I was some cute baby animal. 

        These guys really needed to work on their insults, I wasn't even that mad yet.  I didn't say anything, just stared them down and pondered where I would swing first.d

        But all of the sudden, one of them swung a fist at me, and I barely ducked in time before he would have given me a black eye.  I smirked and drove a fist up into the middle guy's stomach, right below his rib cage, which was just high enough to knock the wind out of him, and he doubled over gasping for breath.

        The other two immediately lunged at me, and I ducked one swing but ate a fist as the other one got me right in the mouth.  I felt my bottom lip split, and with an angry growl I punched him right in the eye.

        The third Soc that had taken the first swing at me attacked, and a few seconds later I had clotheslined him and he was on his back on the pavement.  The first two were back on their feet now though, and both rushed me, but I ducked again, tripping one of them and hitting the other in the ribs.  

        I wasn't paying attention though and the third Soc that I had clotheslined kicked me in the back of the knees and I went down.  Within seconds I had three football players on top of me, but I was kicking and punching and biting any vulnerable body part that came near me.  I kicked one of them off, and thankfully he didn't try to help the other two pin me again.  A couple blows to the head hurt quite a bit, but pretty soon I could soon only see one of them looming over me and part of another Soc stumbling to his feet behind him.

        I saw the sunlight glint off a blade but I kicked it out of his hand, and the next thing I know someone's dragging me to my feet.  I see two Socs clambering to get in the car, but I can't see the third so I figured he's the one that had dragged me to my feet only to knock me on the ground again.

        I whirled, ready to deck him, but he grabbed my fist and I was surprised to see Ponyboy's equally surprised face as the one I was about to bash in.  I jerked my fist out of him grasp and turned back, but the Socs were gone with a squeal of tires.  I had not been done beating the crap out of those Socs, and it's not like I really needed him to rescue me from a fight.

        "Are you okay?" he asked me.

        "Just fine," I replied with a huff.

        "Your lip is bleeding," he pointed out, gesturing to my split lip which stung now.

        "Really?  I thought I was eating fries with ketchup," I answered sarcastically.

        A small smile crossed his face, but then he asked again, "Are you sure you're okay?"

        "Nope.  I'm gonna die cause I'm bleeding and I need my boyfriend to save me from everything," I said, also sarcastically, though there was hint of bitterness in my tone.

        A wounded look crossed his face for a brief second but then he said, "Calm down.  I'm sorry, I get it, you're fine," a bit defensively.

        I rolled my eyes and muttered, "Thank you very much," under my breath.

        "I heard that," he told me in an offhanded way.

        "Good," I replied smugly, and he just shook his head like he was disappointed in me.  I didn't care, it wasn't my job to please him on his every whim.

        We walked to their house in silence, and I caught a weird look on Dally's face when we came in the door.  Well, looks like he hadn't gone to work, but he had come here.

        "Did you get in a fight?" Soda asked, probably noticing my split lip.

        "Of course not, someone just decided to hit me a couple of times so I hit them back," I replied sarcastically in a nonchalant tone.

        "The Socs," Two-Bit asked, but it was more of a statement than a question.

        "No, Ponyboy just decided to haul off and hit me for no reason.  Who do you think?" I asked, irritated. 

        I had a headache and was in no mood for their dumb interrogations.  If they couldn't see, I wasn't dead or anything, so why did they care?

        "He does something like that to you and he'll be dead," Dally threatened Pony, glaring at him.

        Pony shrank back from my brother's steely glare and glanced at me questioningly, not sure what to say.

        "I was kidding," I tell Dal in a monotone how-dumb-are-you voice.

        "It wasn't funny," he answered in the same monotone voice.

        I rolled my eyes and went into the kitchen to get a glass of water to get the metallic taste of blood out of my mouth.  Besides the split lip, I only had a few bruises I could feel forming, but you couldn't see them yet so they couldn't be that bad.

        I heard someone come into the room behind me, but I didn't turn around to see who it was.

        I knew it was Ponyboy when he asked, a bit worriedly, "Are you mad at me?"

        "No," I shot back, not looking at him, but the defensive tone of my voice proved otherwise.

        I glanced over my shoulder at him and saw him after I had shouted.  I took a sip of water and turned around, leaning against the counter.

        Then I sighed and admitted, "Not really."

        It was silent between us for a while and then he said quietly, "I'm sorry."

        "For what?  I said I wasn't mad at you," I said, but I had only half told him I wasn't mad to tell the truth.

        "I don't know.  For 'coming to your rescue' as you put it.  I know you can take care of yourself, it's just-" he stopped and sighed.  "I worry about you, okay?  I know I shouldn't, but I can't help it.  I don't want anything bad to happen to you, especially if I know I can prevent it," he admits, staring at the floor the majority of the time but then glancing up and meeting my gaze.

        I smiled and forgave him, saying, "It's okay.  And thanks, I guess," I added, going over and giving him a quick hug, wrapping my arms around his shoulders.

        He grabbed my wrist, pulling me back and giving me a kiss.

        "Ow," I said, touching my split lip because it had hurt.  I noticed his ears reddening, but I quickly said, "Never mind.  It's okay, I'm not gonna die or anything," and then went back into the living room, but I caught a smile on his face before he followed after me.