An Opera Gone Wrong - Chapter 18

The next day of work was most definitely... Something.

You had received boundless cards, flowers, gifts, etc. just for condolences about your father's death, but ironically, it seemed to do more harm than good. It just reminded you that you ha to live another day without your father. You had a growing collection of things inside of the staff room, but of course, you weren't going to complain... They were just being nice.

When you were all set to leave, Matthew and another employee were there to walk you back to the opera house. The other employee was a girl - Chosen - who you thought was quite beautiful. She was notorious for her cleft lip. Even though she seemed to hate it with a passion, you truly thought that it suited her - as did everyone else. While you didn't talk to her nearly as much as you did Matthew, she seemed nice enough.

"Are you ready to go?" Matthew asked, grabbing a final bouquet of flowers and an umbrella.

You gave a soft nod.

"Yes," you muttered. As the three of you walked out of the back door, Chosen gently patted your back and gave you a reassuring smile, saying something along the lines of 'you're going to be alright.'

You were immediately greeted by a face-full of snow. While there wasn't quite a blizzard, the afternoon snowfall of France seemed to have begun. Matthew was quick to open up the umbrella and pull you underneath it, unintentionally leaving the other girl behind... However, she didn't seem to mind - she was busy staring down people who were looking at the two of you strangely.

"[Y/N], you're freezing," Matthew said, even though you were just a few blocks away from the Opera Populaire. You shrugged. He was right - you were really cold... But you were too caught up in thought to really care.

"Am I now?" you asked with a slight smile. You lips were quivering and chattering, and Chosen simply stared at you.

"Your lips are practically blue," she said with a small frown. "When we get there, I'll give you some of my soup -"

"No," Matthew said sternly. Chosen was a little taken back by his sudden seriousness, but she trusted his judgement. He knew you better than anyone else, and thus, he knew that any type of soup would remind you of the countless times you father brought it to you while you were sick.

"Alright then," Chosen mumbled. She didn't seem to appreciate Matthew's sternness, but that still didn't stop her from trying to get along with him for your sake. She carefully set your things at her dresser while avoiding any contact with the man... Once she had walked everything (cards, flowers, etc.) to your room, she gave you a final hug and an 'I'll see you around' before she left yet again.

That was about all that happened up until the opera.

Matthew had scraped up the money to buy the both of you tickets towards the front - that way, it would be easy on your eyes (and thus, easy for you to get immersed).

The two of you were dressed quite nicely, as to fit in with the ocean of nobility surrounding you, and you were almost certain that it would be hard to pick you out from the crowd.

That didn't mean the ballerinas weren't able to spot you. For many of them, it was the first time they had seen you and Matthew together, so they immediately assumed the worst (or best). You could already hear their giggling after the show...

However, you thought of him as a friend... nothing more, and most definitely nothing less.

As La Carlotta sauntered on stage, wearing a ridiculous amount of makeup and a wig that seemed to be twice the size of her, she wore that signature, 'the-audience-loves-me' type of smile.