Down Once More - Chapter 27

You had managed to drop into Erik's all-too-familiar bedroom, and as soon as you realized where you were, you quickly hid beneath the covers. You couldn't bear to watch what was happening... but nonetheless, you found yourself peeking from underneath the blankets, and what you saw tore your heart in half.

Christine was close to the water, a horrified look on her face as a wedding dress (which you assumed Erik had made) hugged her tightly. The Vicomte stood behind the fence, reaching for his love and begging to see Christine as a maskless Erik stood in the way.

You could tell that Erik was already tired with all of it.

"Free her!" the Vicomte pleaded. "Do what you'd like - only free her! Have you no pity?"

Erik let out a snicker before turning to Christine, a bit of a crazed look in his eye... You knew that this was all just a game to him. He'd already gotten what he wanted.

"Your lover makes a passionate plea!" he taunted. Christine looked ready to cry as she stared at her fiancé.

"Please Raoul - it's useless!" she said, trying her hardest to get him to leave... not that she didn't want him to stay, of course, but she didn't want him to get her. The Vicomte didn't listen.

"I love her!" he cried. "Does that mean nothing - I love her! Show some compassion!"

Erik's jaw clenched as he looked back to the Vicomte.

"The world showed no compassion to me!" he spat. He began to completely ignore the cries of the Vicomte... That was, until he began to turn around. He paused. It seemed almost like he had been hit with a textbook and struck
with an idea.

"Christine... Christine... Let me see her," the Vicomte continued to beg... This time, however, to both his and Christine surprise, Erik gave into his demands.

"Be my guest, sir," he said. From what you could see, there was an exaggerated smile (and perhaps a bit of a smirk) on his face as he reached for a lever, and the gate immediately began to lift.

"Monsieur, I bid you welcome!" Erik started, sauntering down to the Vicomte. "Did you think that I would harm her?" You noticed him reach down into the water, and as you craned your neck to see what he was grabbing, you noticed the gate begin to close yet again...

"Why would I make her pay... for the sins which are yours?!" As soon as the words came form his mouth, the Vicomte turned around to get a glimpse of the gate closing behind him, and Erik was quick to move and throw something around his neck.

Both you and Christine gasped.

Erik was quick to push the Vicomte up against the metal bars, harshly holding him there as he began to tie him into place.

"Order your fine horses, now! Raise your hand to the level of your eyes... Nothing can save you now, except perhaps Christine!" Erik looked back to his (forced) wife-to-be. "Start a new life with me— buy his freedom with your love! Refuse me and send your lover to his death... This is the choice! This is the point of no return!"

Erik stared at Christine for an answer, and as soon as he opened her mouth, you knew that it would not end well.

"Those tears I might have shed for your dark fate... grow cold, and turn to tears of hate!" she cried out,  staring at the man who she had suddenly learned to hate.

"Christine forgive, please forgive me... I did it all for you and all for nothing!" the Vicomte cried. Before you realized it, everyone was pitching in - the Vicomte was telling Christine to let him die a happy man, Christine was begging for mercy to be shown upon her beloved, and Erik was clearly over the overdue pity being expressed only now. No matter what decision was made, none of them would result in Christine being able to live a happy life...