The Point of No Return - Chapter 25

You followed a simple routine for the next month or so: work every morning, rehearse every afternoon, and visit Erik every night... it was this way up until the first show.

You finally got to experience what a hassle it was to get ready for a performance.

"Meg, can you button me?" you asked, turning your back toward your friend so that she could assist you. She let out an "of course" as she quickly moved to help get your dress all the way on, and she flashed you a smile once she was finished. Her middle finger made her way to your lip as she wiped of some smudged lipstick.

Soon enough, you were all called to the green room minutes before the show was set to begin.

"Thank you all for being so patient with me," a voice said, looking to everyone. The Vicomte de Changy was speaking. "I would like for you all to know that there have been armed officials set around the opera house."

Everyone immediately began to rabble amongst themselves, although the Vicomte was quick to stop the conversation.

"Do not be alarmed," he said quickly. "They will not fire unless absolutely necessary - and it will not be aimed at any of you... We are in search of the murderer of Joseph Buquet, and we believe that he may be inside of this opera house... He still serves as a danger to us, and if he makes an appearance tonight, we will take all precautions necessary to prevent another tragedy."

Oh no.

Everyone murmured amongst themselves again, and it didn't seem like the Vicomte had anything else to say... Before he had left, however, you had caught him right at the door.

"Monsieur," you said, placing a hand on his shoulder. The Vicomte turned around to see you, and a half-smile played on his face.

"Please don't do this," you said quickly... however, you were quick to remember that you were supposed to be afraid of this so-called opera ghost, so you feigned just that emotion. "What if... what if he hurts you, Monsieur? I know I haven't been here for long enough to know everything that he's capable of, but —"

"Don't worry, [Y/N]," he said, placing a hand on your shoulder and looking you straight in the eye. "I'll be alright... now, break a leg out there tonight. I'm sure you'll be fantastic."

Before you could say another word, he waved to you before left to sit right in Box Five...

If Erik hadn't been planning to go onstage, you knew that the Vicomte would be as good as dead.

"Alright everyone - places!" Madame Giry called out. As everyone in the first number scurried to their starting positions behind the curtain, Madame Giry pulled you to the side, a dead serious expression on her face...

"I know who you've been practicing with," she snapped. While you could tell that she was angry with you for disappearing every night, there was an expression of visible concern playing on her face. "I know I cannot do anything now that it is finished... but please. Be careful."

You slowly nodded, though you didn't understand... Careful? Erik had done nothing to harm you... In fact, he got mad at you for proposing the idea so long ago. However, you didn't want to upset Madame Giry anymore, so you gave a small smile.

"Yes, Madame," you said, turning to leave before she stopped you again.

"I mean it, [Y/N]... That's why I paired you with Antoine. The Phantom is a man to be feared - not trusted!" she said harshly.

You paused. She paired you with Antoine only to keep you away from Erik?

Well... glad to see how that worked.