A Kiss to Return - Chapter 32

"Pardon me?" you blinked, your eyebrows furrowing a little. "In love? Matthew, I can assure you that..."

You paused.

So that's how Erik had gotten into your room. Yes, you were definitely in love with him - but Matthew had no way of telling that for certain solely from the way you acted... There was also no way that Matthew would let Erik go into a room with you alone unless given good reason.

Matthew seemed to connect the dots immediately.

"Monsieur?" Matthew called out. Erik sauntered out of the kitchen, and as soon as he did, you let out a long sigh.

This was not doing any good for his reputation.

"You slept in [Y/N]'s room, correct?" Matthew asked. He was clearly trying to keep his cool, but as Erik simply nodded, he looked as if he was about to snap.

"Tell me why you were in there," he muttered.

Erik seemed a little confused and shot you a glance, and once he noticed the expression that you held, he immediately knew exactly why Matthew was asking. Instead of saying anything, however, he kept himself calm and collected and simply shrugged.

This seemed to push Matthew over the edge. He was clearly not having any of it, and before Erik could even give an answer, he let out a soft sigh as he massaged the bridge of his nose.

"God... Please tell me that you didn't take advantage of - "

Erik went from being calm to looking like he was about to strangle Matthew for even proposing such an idea.

"Don't you dare accuse me of such a horrible thing!" he said harshly.

"He wouldn't do that, Matthew," you said. "I would have told you if he had. Please... If anyone here is to believe, it's me."

Your eyes pleaded to Matthew that he should believe you, and after a moment, he finally seemed to decide to drop the subject.

"Alright," he muttered, backing off a little before glancing over to Erik all over again. "Fine... But if I hear anything - anything at all, I swear that you're a dead man."

The next thing you knew, Erik was practically dragging you into a private room.

To say that you were livid would be an understatement.

"Erik..." you started, although letting out a soft sigh. "Why in hell did you do that? Matthew's an understanding man, he would - "

You were immediately cut off by a kiss...

And this time, you weren't the one who instigated it.

For a moment, you just stood there. You were absolutely shocked... However, unlike you, Erik kept his lips pressed against against yours, and he actually gave you time to react in some way, shape, or form.

Of course you kissed him back.

Right as you had, it finally seemed like you building right back up - your awkwardness, suffering, and heartbreak were all forgotten for the time being. While it was a typical kiss - not breathtakingly long (literally) or pitifully short (like you had attempted the first time) - it was still one full of passion. Erik held his arms around your waist, and yours were loosely wrapped around his neck...

You barely realized how much time had passed until you pulled away.

He stared down at you. While you wore what would probably be deemed a dorky grin, he had the most serious expression you had ever seen.

Ever.

"That's why," he muttered, placing a hand underneath your chin gently. He had given you the exact answer you had given him - except, this time, the feeling was clearly neutral. The telltale kiss told you enough.

You stared at each other for a moment and, carefully, you leaned in for another kiss - although this time, it was interrupted by a knock.

"[Y/N]?" Matthew said from the opposite side. "Someone's here for you."

You glanced up at Erik, flashing him an apologetic look before slowly unwrapping your arms from around him, then carefully opening the door. Matthew gave you a small smile as you made your way out, and you were soon greeted by a familiar face.

Madame Giry.

"Bonjour, [Y/N]," she said. She craned her neck a little, almost as if she was trying to see something (or someone... Probably Erik). Her mission was short-lived. She quickly returned her gaze to you and wore her typical smile. "I hope all is well."

You gave a slight nod.

"Yes, Madame," you said softly, tucking a strand of hair behind your ear. As you stared at the woman, expecting to hear whatever it was that she wanted to tell you, she said nothing more until you asked her. "It's nice of you to come pay a visit, but... Why?"

Madame Giry gave a solemn nod.

"We have the death counts from the events that occurred last night," she said, pulling a piece of paper from out of her dress sleeve. "There was all but one death, yes... But several more people were injured," she muttered as she read off the paper. "The Opera Populaire is still in good condition, and in nine months time - by God's will, we shall have a new chandelier."

Everything hit you so fast.

Someone died? Nine months until you had a new chandelier? That was absurd... Right?

"Madame, that's nine months," you frowned. "What can we do in that amount of time?"

"That's what we need you for," she said, her typically stern pout making its way onto her face again. "We are doing another opera - Samson et Dalila, so it's called - and we would love to have you back for auditions."

Yeah, that's most definitely not why she came.

To her credit, though, she kept up the act.

"I'm almost certain that you know the story, although if you - "

"Yes - I understand, Madame," you said with a small nod. In your opinion, you weren't the best singer out there, and while you would love to be involved with the revival of the Opera Populaire, being onstage was not the best way to do it. "But truly - why did you come here? Not that I'm complaining, of course, but you know that I am in no position fit to be onstage."

She said it herself. You may have had talent, but you were practically nothing without Antoine's guidance.

Madame Giry opened her mouth to protest, but of course, she decided to better herself and simply tell you the truth.

"[Y/N], I saw you in the catacombs, and I sincerely need your help."

A/N: Yay!!! Sorry for the late update, haha, but I got it out anyway! My WiFi has been acting up so horribly, but nonetheless, here I am... Also, thank you bitsy456 for adding my book to your reading list! It means SO much... Same with peppermint-twist - and just for being SUCH a sweetheart. Anyway, vote, comment, share, and all of that good stuff, and I'll see you soon!