What a Gentleman - Chapter 20

You woke up in Erik's bed again. At some point along the journey down into the catacombs, you must have fainted... otherwise, you would have remembered being laid there.

"You're awake," a voice muttered. Erik was at your side, holding a rag soaked in ointment and quite a few bandages. Before you could say anything at all, he kneeled down and gently placed his other hand on your forehead. He gently caressed your hair as he stared down at you, his jaw clenching slightly. "Don't move."

He gently pressed the rag on your stomach, and suddenly, you felt a pain tear through you.

"Ouch," you breathed. You screwed your eyes shut as you bit down on your bottom lip, taking a few deep breaths before the pain eventually subsided.

It wasn't until then that your realized that your corset had been undone. Your dress had been pulled down so that he could treat the wound, and thankfully, you weren't entirely naked (as you still had on a bra and undershirt)... However, it still made you the slightest bit uncomfortable.

Erik was quick to take note.

"I wouldn't dare do anything of the sort, if you were wondering," he said softly, beginning to bandage up your stomach. Gently, he pulled your shirt over your stomach again, then sitting up as he gently kept a hand upon your stomach. "I try to be a gentleman."

You gave a slight nod and let out a sigh of relief... Of course he hadn't done anything. This was Erik - if anyone was a gentleman with you, it was him.

The two of you simply stared at the other. You were almost certain that your gaze made you look like a complete imbecile, while his, on the other hand, was a completely unreadable expression.

He brushed his fingers gently against your cheek. It was almost as if he was in search of something, although as soon as he touched your face, his hand flinched away almost like it had been slapped...

He turned his gaze away from you, and without another word, he stood up.

He simply began to put everything away.

"Erik?" you asked, your voice a little weak. "Did I do something?"

The man didn't pause, although he gently shook his head as he continued putting things away.

"No, not at all," he muttered. There was something in his voice that told you it was otherwise, but nonetheless, you weren't going to dwell upon the subject. "It's just... you need rest, Mademoiselle. If I stay with you, there's not a chance that you'll be better in the morning."

The morning? Ah, so it was still nighttime...

You nearly choked on a breath as you Matthew suddenly flashed in your mind. He was waiting for you, wasn't he? To return to your seat and finish watching the opera with him?

Without another word, you pulled your dress up and stood. Of course, you were a little lightheaded... after all, you did just pass out - however, you still tried to walk back to the boat to get back to Matthew. You would've felt horrible if you had just left him there waiting.

Erik, on the other hand, seemed far less than amused.

"Where are you going?" he asked. He didn't even have to turn around to know that you were leaving, and despite the fact that he continued to put things away, it was easy to tell that he was somehow paying attention.

"Back up to the auditorium," you said. To you, it was obvious - however, Erik was clearly confused as to why you were so ready to leave. Perhaps even a little upset by it. He paused as he placed the rag on his desk, staring at you if you were a complete and total imbecile.