6

CHAPTER SIX:
Crystal City

❯❯❯❯❯

Grim's fist landed on the poor trunk of an oak tree, groaning in pain as she felt thick blood spilling out of her knuckles. She gave another blow, and another, and another, all the time ignoring the burning sensation that covered her hands. Soon enough, they were numb to the veins that Grim felt like her fingers were going to fall off.

Backing away from the battered tree, she looked around while taking heavy breaths. How did she end up in the woods? It had always been like that. Whenever she needed some time to herself, the woods seemed to be the safest place for her to contemplate. It was the only place that she could concentrate enough to find connection within herself. She kept losing herself since she left home, and nothing's been the same when she got separated to the only person keeping her sane.

Her younger sister, Laura.

The fact that she had a mission to complete with a girl named Lauren didn't help at all. Their names were close to being identical, and it felt like the world was mocking her, laughing at her as it watched her life fall apart because it knew that she wouldn't be able to accomplish her task. Every time she looked into Lauren's eyes, it was like being with Laura again. They had the same shade of green with specs of gold in it and a few strips of blue. It was torture to Grim, trying in vain to gain Lauren's trust and showing her that she could rely on her in return.

Grim wasn't the best with trusting people, and it was the same the other way around. She found it ridiculous when she became the group's Alpha. She only did what the rest of them would do but somehow, they saw her as some sort of a hero and decided that they should obey her.

It wasn't that she was ungrateful, but having six people, her own friends, looking up to her whenever an important decision had to be made, was putting her under pressure. The last time they were persuaded to do something against their will, they all put their lives in danger, and being the Alpha, Grim took most of the blame for letting it happen although her pack tried to convince her that none of it was her fault and they wouldn't have been in that situation if it wasn't for Jude. They were thankful that Grim was there because if she wasn't, they wouldn't see the sun rise again.

Feeling lost and craving for someone to understand, she headed back to the trail were she left her bike. Grim wasn't much of a talker—she wasn't as good with expressing herself—but right now, she thought it would be the best option to find herself again.

"But did I really find myself already?" Grim whispered to herself, now thinking out loud. "Have I lost myself or I've just been lost the entire time?"

Her heart felt heavy. She knew what she had to do but reality was holding onto her and as much as she wanted to run away with her pack and leave Arlington behind, leave Lauren behind and let her have a peaceful life that she deserved. She couldn't do that either. It was too late. The bike growled into life as Grim ignored the void in her chest and left the forest.

Minutes later, she found herself right in front of Lauren's dormitory, leaning against her bike as she stared at the fifth floor. The dormitory had ten floors and in the middle was where Lauren lived.

Grim thought to herself, considering taking the stairs or just climbing each terrace until she reached the fifth floor. If there was one thing Grim found fun aside from beating people's faces, it was climbing. The night they stole at the convenient store was highly entertaining for her, pretending that she was a pro in parkour. She didn't have Lauren's number, nor Normani's, so asking them to come down and meet her was crossed out of her options.

She had been staring at the building for almost an hour until she heard footsteps. The area was silent enough for her to catch its sound and something told her that it was Lauren coming down the stairs.