Chapter Five

Although she really didn't want to, Caia drug herself to River Vixen practice after school. She hated the choreography they were doing for the pep rally. It was so innapropriate. She literally had to twerk.

That's probably part of the reason Cheryl stopped the girls' run through. Caia didn't like the choreography so her heart wasn't fully in the dance.

"Stand down, Vixens," Cheryl commanded. She was not taking any crap today. "And listen up." All the girls turned toward Cheryl, pom poms in hand. "The whatever is predicting a downpour the night of the rally, but already, your raining on my parade. With Jason so present in our collective consciousness, all eyes will be on me." Caia scoffed in her head. That was only a lot conceited. "Will this beautiful, hot house flower drown under the town's scrutiny or be swamped by her emotions. The answer, ladies, is no and no. That said, I need star power. I need the pussycats. Stay loose and limber ladies, while I make a call."

Cheryl stormed off the scene and Caia was greatful for a break. She wandered over to Betty and Veronica, sitting down and stretching while guzzling water.

"After this practice I'll totally need a pedicure." Veronica stated. Caia knew she was referring to Betty, so she didn't respond.

"I'll have homework," Betty responded flatly. Caia was confused as to why she would pass up on a pedicure. She knew that Betty and Veronica had had a falling out over the weekend because of Cheryl, but she thought they had made up.

Veronica wanted to press the issue further but instead changed the subject. "I know everyone greieves differently, but Cheryl's hosting a pep rally to cope with her loss. That's either brilliant or psychotic, or both." Veronica continued to stretch out her legs whole talking.

Caia moved into her splits. "That's just how Cheryl works," she explained. "Don't know why, don't know how, but it's true."

"Well at least she's not putting on an act," Betty shot back. This shocked both Veronica and Caia. "Pretending she's a butterfly when she's really a wasp." Betty gave Veronica a side eye after the subtle diss she had just done. She soon looked away.

"For the record, the only reason I went into that closet with Archie was so that Cheryl wouldn't." Veronica explained. Caia started to feel like she was intruding. She felt awkward being there because this conversation was not something she was involved in.

"Oh so you did it to protect me?" Betty asked, clearly not convinced.

"Damn straight."

Betty stood up. "Okay, so nothing happened between you and Archie in the closet then." Veronica was silent. She opened her mouth to defend her actions, but Betty cut her off. "Yeah, that's what I thought. You know, Archie and I were fine before you got here." Betty exclaimed. She was blaming Veronica for her problems with Archie when they really weren't her fault at all.

"If by fine, you mean he was oblivious and you were pawing after him in quiet desperation-"

"We were friends," Betty interrupted. "And at least I didn't have to worry about Caia trying to get with him behind my back." Caia's head shot up at the mention of her name. She didn't like being used as an example in an argument.

"You were walking on emotional eggshells around him, scared to tell him the truth," Veronica said pointedly.

Betty immediately shot back. "Okay, you don't know me Veronica." She turned away, not wanting to hear any more of what Veronica had to say.

The next thing the raven haired girl said was the one that broke Betty.

"It is not my fault he doesn't like you."