Chapter Thirteen

Thornhill was definitely an intimidating house. The kind that got abandoned, grew old, and then rumored to have ghosts. Caia hadn't been inside for a few years and going in now was not something she desired.

At least she had Reggie with her. She wrapped her arm around his and intertwined their fingers. Reggie looked down from the house and to his girlfriend. "You alright?" He questioned softly. He could tell Caia's emotions were raw. He felt like she was a teapot that could be dropped and shattered at any moment. He didn't want to be the one to drop her.

Caia nodded. "Yeah. Just a little nervous, that's all." Reggie squeezed her hand comfortingly.

"You'll be okay. I'm here, remember that."

Once they entered the house, Caia dropped Reggie's hand. Reggie, realizing the fact that she only did this because she was nervous about Penelope Blossom seeing them together, slung his arm around her shoulders instead. Caia tuned a grateful glance up at Reggie.

As they neared the front of the line, Caia's nerves became increasingly more prevalent. Penelope had never really liked her when she was friends with Cheryl before, so she didn't expect her to have changed her mind.

Caia was right. "Oh, it's you," She sneered, glaring coldly at the small girl. Caia shivered. The gaze was that frightening. "I didn't think I'd ever see you back here."

Caia cleared her throat awkwardly. "Yes. I just wanted to pay my respects." Caia explained. Penelope smiled fakely.

"Yes, yes," she replied. "Thank you." Penelope held out her hand for Caia to shake. When Caia took her hand, Penelope gripped it tight and leaned it towards Caia. "I won't expect to see you here again, understand?" The threatening tone in Penelope's voice filled Caia's whole body with fear. She nodded quickly. Penelope released her arm and continued to great the guests behind her.

Taking Reggie by the hand, she dragged him away from Cheryl's creepy mother. Once far enough away, Caia finally stopped.

"Oh my god, what just happened?" Reggie questioned, confused and shocked. He turned around to star at Penelope. Quite frankly, he was terrified of her now.

Caia was shivering. "I don't know." Reggie noticed what she was doing.

"Are you cold? Do you want my jacket?" He questioned. Caia hated to take it from him, but the house and circumstances were freaking her out. She knew being in something warm that smelled like Reggie would probably make her feel better. She nodded, and Reggie took off his jacket and slipped it over Caia's shoulders. She sent a glance of thanks and snuggled into the big jacket.

The couple made their way over to Caia's friends. Caia took a seat in front of Archie and Reggie sat next to her.

When Betty caught sight of the unlikely pair, she raised her eyebrows questioninhly at Caia. Caia shrugged in return. While Betty showed her surprise in a quiet way, Kevin did his in another.

"Are you guys dating?" He questioned loudly, causing Betty to slap him on the shoulder. Reggie turned around to face the Keller boy.

"Well, in fact, we are." Kevin's eyes grew wide. He turned to Caia, who was blushing profusely.

Suddnely, Archie stood up. Caia was glad the attention was no longer on herself. The whole group watched as Archie made his way over to Penelope. He handed her a blue and gold jeresey, Jason's. After taking it, Penelope reached up and touched Archie's face as well as his hair. Caia cringed.

Once back, Archie sat down. "Did she just touch your hair?" Kevin exclaimed.

Caia reached over and flicked him in the forehead. "Keep it down Kevin!" She reprimanded. "This is a memorial service, not a rave." Kevin looked offended as Jughead tried to hold back laughter. Caia smiled smugly at her joke and turned to the front.