Chapter Sixteen

Sometimes Caia wasn't very smart. She'd make rash decisions that ended up hurting her rather than helping. At these times, she was always reminded of the saying, 'curiosity killed th cat.' However, Caia lived by the second part of that saying; 'But satisfaction brought it back.'

That wasn't always the best idea, as is wasn't now. Caia ran towards the burning car, thinking she would be able to help anyone who was inside. Instead, she was surprised to see the faces of Sheriff Keller, Betty, and Jughead.

Oh my word, did they blow up the car together?

Caia's mind was racing as she approached the trio. "What are you guys doing?" She questioned, causing all three to jump. The sheriff turned around to face Caia.

"Caia!" He exclaimed. "What are you doing here?" Caia detected a hint of suspicion in the sheriff's voice.

"I was at the variety show. When I got out, I saw fire and decided to check it out," She explained. "I didn't do this, if that's what you're thinking."

Keller wiped the sweat off his forehead as he looked back at the car. "Anyone who can back up your alibi? I'm sorry to do this, but some very important evidence was just destroyed in that fire," he explained.

"Archie, Kevin, and Reggie will vouch for me," she replied. "Evidence for what?"

Keller sighed. "The investigation of Jason Blossom's murder."

*

Monday morning, Caia was still trying to process the information she had received on Friday night.

She had forced Keller to tell her what was going on. The sheriff hadn't wanted to, but Betty had said that she should know.

Apparently, Betty had gone to see her sister, who was coincidentally pregnant with Jason Blossom's baby. Polly had told Betty about Jason's plan to sell drugs to get money so they could leave town together. When Betty and Jughead had followed up on that lead, it led them to the car which was stocked full of evidence, including Jason's letter jacket. When they brought Keller back to investigate, the car was up in flames.

Caia was stunned. She would have never thought anything like that would ever happen in Riverdale. But when a boy was murdered, anything was possible.

That's why when Archie approached her in the hallway as she was walking, she didn't really hear half of what he said.

"Caia?" He exclaimed, snapping her out of her trance. Caia turned her head to him, a dazed look on her face. "Did you hear any of what I just said.

Caia shook her head. "No, sorry."

Archie furrowed his eyebrows in concern. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah, I'm just a little out of it," Caia admitted.

"If this is about what your dad did on Friday, don't worry my dad calmed him down before he could do much else."

Caia shook her head. "No, that's not it. Just forget about it, okay?" She pleaded. Archie nodded hesitantly. "Anyway, what were you saying?"

Archie stuck his thumbs in between the straps of his backpack. "Did you know Jughead is living at the school? In a closet under the stairs?"

Caia scoffed. "Who is he, Harry Potter? Anyway, no, I didn't." She smoothed out her eyebrows as she continued to talk. "I mean, I knew he wasn't living at home, but he told me he had a place."

Archie stopped walking and turned to Caia. "You knew? And you didn't tell me?"

"Calm down, Archie," she commanded. "It's not like he was dying. And anyway, it wasn't really my place to tell anyone." She continued walking. Archie followed close behind.