Chapter Eighteen

The headache Caia had the next day was practically unbearable. She pulled a bottle of Asprin out of her bag and swallowed two, wicning as she had to do it without water.

She shut her locker and jumped when she saw Veronica standing right in front of her. "Oh, Lord, you scared me," she exclaimed, setting a hand on her temple as she caught her breath.

"Hangover?" Veronica questioned, eyebrows raised. Caia nodded.

"I feel like hell." She glanced down at her mom jeans and frumpy sweatshirt. "Apparently, I look like it too," she stated, trying to smooth out the wrinkles in the shirt.

Veronica giggled. "You don't look bad at all, chica. I think you can make anything work."

Caia smiled. "Thanks, Roni. I meant to ask you though, how bad was I last night?"

Veronica switched positions so she was leaning with her back to the lockers. "Oh, not too bad. You only almost stripped on top of a table."

Caia's eyes widened. "I did not," She gasped.

Veronica paused. "No, you didn't," She laughed. Caia sighed in relief. That would have been a travesty. "But Reggie was being super cute to you. I wish you could remember," Roni lamented.

"Trust me, I do too," Caia replied. Suddnely, the door to the blue and gold room opened and out walked Sheriff Keller, Principal Weatherbee, and Jughead.

Caia's eyes widened at the sight, causing Veronica to turn around too. She gasped. "Oh no."

"Call my dad," Jughead commanded as he passed Archie and Betty. They both replied thay they would. Veronica turned back to Caia, stunned.

What in the world had Jughead done?

*

Caia had been invited to dinner with the gang, including Polly. She chose to show up because she felt bad that she hasn't been able to see Jughead at the jail and because she hadn't seen Polly in a really long time.

So now as she sat with her head in the menu, she wondered if she should have come. She felt out of place here. Polly wasn't her business, and the burn mark on her hand from home didn't help.

Betty drummed on The table. "The Blossoms should be here soon," Betty observed, looking at her sister. The Blossoms? Caia wasn't aware they were coming. "Once we talk things through with them, we'll call mom and dad."

Polly nodded and slid the menu towards her. She played with her hands. "Are you nervous?" Betty questioned.

Polly gazed at her sister. "I'm thankful," She explained. "At the home, the sisters said each of us had a guardian angel. You're mine, Betty," She finished, grabbing Betty's hand. Caia's eyes dropped down. Oh how she wished for a sister. Or some sort of family member who loved her.

The door jingled and Caia swiveles her stool to see Cheryl Blossom walk through the door. She walked around and the Cooper sisters caught sight of her.

"Cheryl," Polly greeted, standing up to meet Cheryl.

Cheryl took a shallow breath as she stared at Polly's baby bump. She could hardly believe it was real. A part of her brother had survived. She reached out to touch it, but took her hand away, not wanting to invade Polly's privacy.

"I'm so sorry," Polly appologised. "About Jason. I know how much you loved him." Cheryl finally met Polly's gaze. She still didn't speak. Polly grabbed Cheryl's arm. "He always talked about how much he loved you," She comforted.

"Cheryl, where are your mom and dad?" Betty questioned.

Polly glances between Polly and Cheryl. "You have to leave," Cheryl finally spoke, quite harshly. "Now," She commanded. Polly looked confused. "My parents, I don't think they want to help you," Cheryl explained.

"What are you talking about?" Betty questioned.

"They want you out of the picture, Polly," Cheryl continued. "It's not safe for you with them. It's not safe for JJ's baby."

Polly turned to face Betty and her friends. "Where am I supposed to go?" Polly asked, frantic. "I can't go back to the attic!" Polly was living in an attic? Caia really needed to pay more attention.

"No, you don't have to, Polly," Veronica saved. She turned to Betty. "And don't worry about my mom, Betty, she'll wanna help."

With that the Cooper sisters, Cheryl, and Veronica left, leaving only the boys and Caia. They soon got up as well. Archie patted Caia's back on the way out. She turned and nodded in goodbye.

Once they left, she set her head down on the counter. She was tired of going back to that house. Tired of being used by her father, time after time.

Looking down at the cigarette sized burn on her arm, she knew she wouldn't go back. She couldn't. But where would she go? No one knew about her father except Sweet Pea, and she didn't want to bother him.

She had no where to go, except home. She slid off the barstool, dejected. Pushing the doors open, she heard the familiar jingle of bells. Suddenly, an engine revving caught her attention.

Looking up, she saw the familiar silhouette of a motorcycle and it's rider. As he took off the helmet, she knew exactly who it was.

"Hey." Sweet Pea greeted. "Got your text about the burn. C'mon, you can stay with me tonight."

Caia shook her head and smiled at her friend. Just when she needed him, he showed up. This was what real friends did for each other.

She climbed up behind Sweet Pea. He handed her the helmet and she clipped it on her head. She settled in, wrapping her arms around his torso.

"Hold on tight," Sweet Pea warned. "I go pretty fast."