Chapter Ten

"The drive-in closing is just one more nail in the coffin that is Riverdale," Jughead vented. He slammed his hands down on the table. "No, forget Riverdale, in the coffin that is the American dream. As the godfather of Indie Cinema, Quientin Tarintino, likes to say-"

"Please, god, no more Quientin Tarintino refrences," Kevin begged. Caia glanced to her right at him and took a sip of her milkshake.

She was smushed in between him and Veronica in the small booth at Pop's. "Truthfully, I don't really mind them," Caia stated, shrugging.

"Thank you, Caia," Jughead exclaimed, exasperated. "I'm pissed about losing my job. The Twilight Drive-in should mean something to us!"

"It does, Jug." Caia tried desperately to calm Jug down. "That drive-in was such a big part of my childhood. I'm upset, too. Trust me." She raised her eyebrows to get her point across.

Jughead still wasn't pleased. "Well then we should be trying to save it!" He practically yelled.

Veronica placed her hand on the table as she leaned toward the beanie wearing boy. "In this day and age, of Netflix and VOD do people really want to watch a movie in a car? I mean who even goes there?" She asked. Caia felt mildly offended. She actually enjoyed the drive-in. It reminded her of a simpler time. One where the biggest drama was if Tommy was going to ask you to the dance.

"People who want to buy crack," Kevin replied, seriously. Caia glared at him.

"And cinephiles. And car enthusiasts. Right, Betts?" Jughead turned to the blonde next to him, expecting her to respond. She seemed distracted as she looked up and took a minute to answer.

"Totally." It wasn't fully comvincing. It was almost as if she hadn't been listening to any of the conversation at all.

Betty stuck her finger in her whipped cream as Jug continued to rant. "Anyway, it's closing because the town owns it, but didn't invest in it."

"Which is so dumb," Caia added.

Jughead continued. "So when an anonymous buyer made Mayor McCoy an offer she couldn't refuse-"

Veronica recoiled and imterrupted. "An anonymous buyer?" She asked. "What do they have to hide? No one cares."

"I do!" Caia and Jughead exclaimed at the same time, offended. They looked at each other, kind of creeped out.

After a moment of silence, Jughead continued. "Also you guys should all come to closing night." Jughead suggested. "I'm thinking, American Graffiti. Or is that too obvious?"

"I think The Breakfast Club. One of my favorites and perfect for any occasion." Caia suggested.

"I vote for anything staring Audrey Hepburn. Or Cate Balnchette." For thinking the drive-in was pointless, Veronica sure had no problem suggesting a movie.

"Or the talented Mr. Ripley," Kevin followed, staring at Veronica. He snapped his head back around. "Betty, your choices?"

Betty shook her head as if she was thinking about something else. "Everything okay, B?" Roni inquired.

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine." She replied. She obviously wasn't. "I'm just thinking. Um, maybe, Rebel Without a Cause?"

Jughead looked up. He seemed to like that idea because he smiled.

"Here you go kids," Hermonie Lodge stated, setting baskets of food on the table. Caia stared hungrily at her grilled cheese.

"Thanks mom," Veronica thanked as her mother set a basket of chicken fingers in front of her.