Chapter One - Perhaps Another Prophecy

Wonderland was known for its sparks of madness and illogical happenings. The creative, inspiring, even surprising twist and turn of Wonderland was what kept Wonderland's spirit alive. But if you've ever been on the other side of the Looking Glass, then you'd see the true extent of Wonderland's madness, the creepy part of Wonderland. Because past the Looking Glass, is a maze of hedges and shrubbery. It's a place more confusing than the madness of Wonderland's own land of Hearts and Chess combined.

In order to get through the maze, you must make a deal with the Sisters of the Treacle Well. They are the true creepiness of Wonderland's existence. There, they live off of offerings given to them in exchanged for the healing properties of the fabled Treacle Well, or a pass to the maze to journey to and fro between Chess and Hearts. Only known by a few people, most of them too mad to remember the way again, the Sisters are always happy to please, only coming when you are most desperate, and only taking things that do not matter to you anymore.

There are three, all pale, all with silvery hair, all barely more than a half a dozen years old in appearance, and all with coal black void-like eyes. The only difference is their hair length. Elsie, Lacie, and Tillie were their names. Elsie's hair was cropped short, Lacie's was down to her ankles, and Tillie's was down the middle of her back. They prophesy and draw those who come to them their fate. They were the ones responsible for the end of one tale, and they will be the ones to start another.

They play at the bottom of the Treacle Well, and bide their time, dying slowly with each breath. They were the ones the Queen of Hearts, Catherine Pinkerton, daughter of the Marquess and Marchioness of Rock Turtle Cove, sold her heart to two years ago, making her heartless, inside and out.

The murderer, the martyr, the monarch, the mad.

That was what Elsie, Lacie, and Tillie prophesied for the four travelers. Two Rooks, a Queen, and a Pawn. Raven, Jest, Cath, and Hatta. The executioner of Hearts and the White Queendom, the Rook of the White Queen and the innocent, the heartless Queen of Hearts, and the Mad Hatter.

Two years ago, Catherine's love, Jest, had died. Two years ago, Catherine lost the will to have a heart, and sold it to the Sisters for vengeance. Two years ago, she became the Queen of Hearts. Two years ago, the prophecy the Sister foretold, was completed. Yet two years later, they plan to unwind the knots Time has tied, untangle the rope of Fate, and give the ending the four travelers had deserved.

💘

Lacie cackled as her ink-dipped quill scratched across her paper. Her hand looked like it was being guided across the parchment, the ink drawings coming to life within the white constraints.

"Murderer, Martyr, Monarch, Mad," Tillie hummed, drawing with her own quill and paper.

"Their tale was quite sad," Elsie tittered, a grin stretching across her waxen, pale face.

"Here we are, once again," Lacie said.

"To give them all, one last chance." Tillie continued.

"Let Fate unwind, let the wraps untie," Elsie followed.

"As Time allows them the ending they can't deny." All three of the Sisters stood up, and formed a circle, holding their hands loosely together. The opened their mouths and synchronized their voices as they eerily spoke at Fate's command.

The Murderer, the Martyr, the Monarch, the Mad
Their tales had ended but now they will rise.
Through Alice an ending will solve all their plights.
The hopeless now hopeful, the bonds now reborn
And they travel through Wonderland to save their one own
Live backwards through destiny, find Time by themselves.
They'll lift away the curse, they forced upon themselves
Let them unwind Fate, let the tale unfold,
As they search for an ending that before was untold

The Sisters released their holds and giggled incessantly.

"My what a hopeful poem! I just love singing for Fate," Elsie tittered, her voidless eyes piercing as they stared straight forward.

"It cleanses the mind," Lacie replied. She, like her sister, seemed to be staring at something in particular that others couldn't see.

"And heals the heart." Tillie finished. All three pairs of eyes would have made the strongest man crumble and freeze.

"Isn't that right? Catherine Pinkerton?"