Chapter Two - Alice, Traveler of Wonderland

Catherine Pinkerton, the Queen of Hearts, gasped and her eyes opened. She sat up and a chill ran down her spine as the cold feeling of fear settled in her, now just a brief and vague shiver. Cath touched her collarbone, feeling nothing but a slight, weak, pulse from her blood pumping just so she could live.

Two years ago, Catherine sold her heart to the Sisters to avenge Jest, turning her into a emotionless Queen, only able to feel hatred and anger. She could've been a rock when it came to sympathy and love. Every day, all she could do was wait until Death took her away, to Jest who undoubtedly hated her for what she had done to the people in Hearts. If she had a heart, the thought of Jest detesting her would've shattered it to pieces. Now the pain she felt was dulled, to feel more like a memory of her past than the present. Yet even without her heart, her longing to be with her lover was huge, and whenever she thought of it for long periods of time, the urge to cry came. However, the ability to cry seemed to have been lost since her heart had been stolen, provoking Cath with frustration of the inability, even though at the same time, it relieved her pain and helped her stitch herself together. Even if the stitches pricked her in the wrong places, closing up parts that were important to her as a person, she wouldn't feel her emotional pain unless she thought of everything she could've had, and everything she gave up.

Speaking of Jest, the dream she just had, chilling as it was, sparked the tiniest flicker of hope in her. But she scoffed at her thoughts, as they were already invading her dreams. She learned long ago, that hope was for the weak, only those who knew the difference between reality and illusion, possibility and impossibility, survived life's vicious beating.

Impossible is my specialty. Cath felt the familiar, yet foreign feeling of tears behind her eyes, yet they still refused to fall. She was heartless, physically and literally, and she accepted it, because it was only the truth. Impossible was called impossible because it wasn't reality. The Sisters' prophecy was just a dream, Jest couldn't come back, no matter what, and Cath couldn't unwind Time and unravel Fate.

Sinking slowly back into her king-sized bed, she stared at the bleeding heart canopy from her dreams. They were the exact representation of her feelings, even without her heart. Her internal bleeding wasn't just restricted to her stolen heart, but also to every part of her that missed Jest. Sighing, Catherine turned away from the trees and the flowers, staring at nothing in particular.

The King of Hearts, the poor man, if she could, she would've pitied him, but she didn't have the power to do that. As a result, he and Catherine had a wall between them. It was indestructible, and the King didn't realize the extent of it, but his feelings were one sided, as the other side couldn't reciprocate love to anyone. Because of that, they had separate everything, bedrooms, bathrooms, dining rooms, offices. The only other person that Catherine allowed in her master bedroom was Raven, Jest's friend, executioner of Hearts, and former Rook to the White Queen. Her parents and Mary Ann were all pushed aside, and Catherine lived life alone, as she was fated to do, just as she was fated to become the Queen of Hearts, and have her people loathe her and feel incensed when they think of her.

To this rather bland thought, Cath was able to calm her mind. She didn't care about her reputation, she only cared for the fact that she exacted her revenge, and lost the only one she loved. Let her be damned by all of Hearts, let her be disdained and abysmalized, let them all remain clueless to her past and her own story as a means to believe the things they do for convenience, for she didn't care anymore. With any luck, Catherine would die alone and wander Hell alone, just as it always has been.

A swish of wind blew through her bedroom, and Catherine mildly remembered that she had had the windows closed, before a loud pop rang through the quiet room, and Catherine slowly sat up, her emotions dulled to nothing, and her surprise only showing as annoyance.