Chapter Two - Making it to Chess

"Welcome to Chess," Alice gestures grandly to the space right behind her. Cath could see a Red and White Castle in the background, with multiple towers for each. It looked majestic, but surreal, and illusionary, like the blue skies and the glistening castles were never meant to be.

Alice had returned five days from her trip to the Forgotten only to be met by Hatta, Raven, and Cath all in a brooding mood, each with no urge to talk. While Cath had reconciled with Raven for the most part, Hatta was still a wild card, she was sure he still didn't forgive her for leaving them and dooming all of them, nor did he forgive her for marrying the king and betraying Jest's love.

But the reason they were in Chess was because Jest had suggested. He said since the prophecy stated living backwards in destiny, or time, they should consult the White Queen, who did live backwards in time, about Time itself. Alice, sweet dear Alice, had graciously transported them to Chess without meeting the Sisters, however, the traveling seemed to be draining her physically and emotionally. Cath's mind kept going back to her saying her powers were cursed, but how could they be? What was her curse? Did she lose something important every time she used her powers to inadvertently come here?

"Raven, could you take the lead?"

"Of course Your Majesty," Raven bowed his head theatrically, and Cath frowned, narrowing her eyes slightly at Raven for his use of her past title.

"Alice, are you ok?" Cath asked, her tone worried.

"I'll be fine, I just need to rest soon. I haven't ever used my gift to this extent before. When I was younger, I didn't even know I had this power, just that I sometimes traveled between Wonderland and my world through my dreams, at least, I think it's through my dreams, I'm no longer sure what's reality and what's illusion."

"Is this a dream to you?" Cath asked curiously.

"No," Alice drew out the word hesitantly, her eyes glancing at the area around her, as if soaking up the color to convince her that it wasn't a dream. Cath watched her anxiously, unsettled almost by Alice's uncertainty to her own dreams. Was that her curse? But how could that be her curse? It didn't make sense, she was here. They could all see her and feel her, and as far as they knew, she was real, so how did it seem like just a dream to her?

They settled down for the night and while Cath laid very still in her sleeping bag, she thought of all the things that were different in her life. She had planned to be a baker, but turned out to be a vengeful Queen. She was doomed without a heart from the start, but here she was, with her soul back. She was supposed to be Queen of Hearts forever, but now she was considered dead. Jest was supposed to be dead, but they were saving him, and for hearts sake they would not fail, because it was not in the cards to fail. Cath would've never dreamed this would happen years ago, but things were different now.

She was different now, which raised a horrifying question: Would Jest still take her? Even after he found out what she had done for so many years? Jest got martyrdom, we'll be lucky to die honorably. Would she even die honorably, after all she's done? Her heart gone would not excuse her actions against so many people, a kingdom full of people. Those people will never know she didn't have a heart during her reign. Catherine Pinkerton had died long ago, the Queen of Hearts is no more, but now who was she now? The Lost Queen? The Forgotten Fairytale? The Abandoned Girl? She was no longer Catherine Pinkerton, Heiress to Rock Turtle Cove and the Marquess and Marchioness, she wasn't the girl who just wanted a bakery with her best friend Mary Ann. But she also wasn't the cold-hearted Queen, the ruler with an iron fist and no emotion, the bloodthirsty leader who spoke the famous words, "Off with their head" as often as people had cups of tea. So who was she?

Catherine didn't know anymore, she'd changed so drastically, it was almost a miracle she still recognized herself through a mirror, still answered to her own name, still saw herself as Catherine.