Chapter Three - The Sisters of the Treacle Well

"Was the White Queen doing fine?" Catherine asked.

Afterwards, they had gotten food, water, and any other materials, but the sun had already set, and they were all tired from a day of walking. They set up a tent on the outskirts of the forest, but still close enough to the village by the two castles that if they needed help, they could just scream and the people would be alerted of a problem.

"The White Queen was fine, she just lives in a backwards in time," Hatta said curtly.

"She goes through time backwards, that's why she was crying before we had even explained to her that Jest wasn't here," Alice explained. "It's also why she knew of a disturbance before it happened."

"She was also the one who ordered to steal the heart of the Queen of Hearts?" Cath asked, slightly miffed.

"Yes, Jest was supposed to steal your heart, but obviously that was not the case," Hatta replied dryly, his purples eyes narrowing.

"Nice to know you talk to me now," Cath said monotonously.

"Only because I have nothing better," Hatta drawled.

"Have you two ever got along?" Alice inquired with an exasperated expression.

"They never stop bickering. It's quite irritating. Even when they met, Hatta was jealous of Cath," Raven explained enigmatically.

"What do you mean jealous?" Alice prompted curiously.

"Yes Raven, what do you mean jealous?" Cath provoked, her mocking smile saying a thousand words.

"It's none of your business as far as I'm concerned," Hatta snapped. "You already know enough Ms. Pinkerton."

"You don't seem to know enough though Sir Hatter," Cath retorted viciously.

"I know enough to say you didn't deserve Jest," Hatta stated.

"And you did?" Cath asked incredulously.

"At least I wasn't the one who killed him," Hatta retaliated, his glare full of contempt.

"I did not get him killed," Cath retorted, a weak attempt and she knew it.

"Whatever helps you sleep at night Your Majesty. Raven might be able to forgive you, but I will never," Hatta's expression turned dark and his tone scornful.

"Well if you hadn't thrown those pumpkin seeds in Sir Peter's yard the Jabberwock would've never been a problem! Sir Peter would've never been a threat," Cath cried out, tears welling in her eyes, because no matter what she said, it was her fault. She went through the door and sealed their fate.

"You've lost your spark Catherine, even you know it was your fault," Hatta sneered, glaring at the pitiful girl.

"Enough! Stop. I don't know what happened, but you two need to stop," Alice intervened, however, Cath found her anger rejuvenated, and the Queen of Hearts' heartless nature brought back for just a moment. He was right, it was her fault, but that didn't give him the right to taunt her mercilessly about it, because he didn't come out of the whole event unscathed and innocent either, that was very much apparent from his words towards her. It was in that spontaneous flurry of anger and frustration that Cath started stalking towards Hatta with a dangerous gleam.

"No, Hatta listen, I don't know what your relationship with Jest was, but that does not give you the right to insult me. Do you think I don't blame myself all the time for going through the door? Do you think I walked away from that affair with my head high and a smile on my face? Jest had my heart and soul, and he still does. Whatever you say to me won't matter now because I regret that decision of mine so very much. I might've been the one who chose to go through the door, but right now, you're digging your own grave with this vendetta, and I will not be the one to pull you out once you realize it's too late to save yourself from your own guilt," Cath's eyes flashed with hatred, and the venom in her tone was unmistakable.