Conspiracy Theories and Decaying Flesh

From, the rest of the train ride to me missing the carriages and throughout the feast, people from various tables looked at me, whispering behind their hands. The marauders also glanced smugly at me, pleased to see what they had been doing, from pranks to rumors had bothered me. Just ignore them. Hide your feelings, Addie. You’re good at that. I told myself. You live with Trish, don’t you?

I could see Kate and Bailey sitting with the “preps” (including Lilly Evans), gossiping and flipping their hair. One of them, Cora said something said to Kate, who stood up and said “Oh, no you didn’t!” Cora stood and pushed Kate by the shoulders. This started one of those chick fights where they only push each other and pull hair. Boys were staring at them, so obviously that it was like watching a dog stare at meat. The lyrics from one of my favorite songs drifted into my head and brought a smile to my face:

Let’s get emotional girls to all wear mood rings,

So we’ll be tipped off to when they’re ticked off,

‘Cause we’ll know just what they’re thinking,

What they’re thinking, she’s so pretty, but

She doesn’t always act that way.

If that didn’t describe the preps then I don’t know what did. At least in the mayhem I got to slip away and up to the common room. Upon entering through the portrait hole (grindylows) I savored the feeling of being back before running up to my dorm and falling face first into my bed. It smelled like fresh cotton and Hogwarts. The scent of home. I got ready for bed, and fell asleep when the first girls wandered into the room.

I awoke early, out of pure habit, and took a shower and dressed in jeans and a Green Day t-shirt. I shoved my uniform in my bag and left to talk a walk outside. I took out a Hershey bar and ate it slowly, savoring each bite. I was halfway through it, when I heard footsteps approaching me. I had been looking towards the mountains and looked up. Six feet away, leaning on the tree trunk were the marauders. Oh, joy. I thought.

I swallowed and glared at them. I hoped I didn’t have chocolate on my mouth. How menacing would that be? “What do you want?” I asked as icily as possible.

“It’s no wonder you’re fat. She eats more chocolate than you do, Moony.” Black spoke, amusement in his voice.

“She eats more at dinner, too. Remember last night?” Pettigrew piped up.

“I may be fat, but your ugly and I can diet.” I challenged them. Pettigrew grew red, and backed up a few paces.

Potter laughed and at that moment I would have no greater pleasure than punching his face in. “Have you looked in the mirror lately? I still can’t believe you’re related to those Jones girls. What’s their names?”

Lupin spoke for the first time. “Bailey and Kate.” I gave him Cold Look Number 451. He grinned, seeing my displeasure.

“Yeah, they’re hot.” Black agreed.

“I try not to think about it either. Makes me kind of nauseous.” I stated, turning to walk away.

“What? We’re just gentlemen looking for friendly conversation.” Black said, a sly grin on his face.

“When you find them, tell them I’m waiting.” With a final hostile look, I tuned and strolled off.

After 30 minutes, another Hershey bar and pushing several first years out of my way, I burst into Potions class a few moments before the bell rang. I moved to take a seat, but Professor Slughorn bellowed at the class to stand in front, for the seating chart. Everyone groaned, but I moved up to lean against a stone wall.

“Andrews and Kate Jones here, Black and Bailey Jones right there,” I zoned out, mentally playing Gotta Be Somebody by Nickelback in my head. Until I heard, “Lupin and Owls.”

What the frick did he just freaking say? What the frick? I asked myself, as I moved to the middle desk. Lupin sauntered slowly to where I sat, enjoying the aggravation in eyes. He sat on my right.

“These will be your seats for the rest of the year. Now, you best get a good bond with your partner.” I grit my teeth. “Now turn to your partner, and say something nice.” He finished with a joyous rant. A few seats ahead of us, I saw Potter ranting to Lilly about her eyes, Black whispering things into Bailey’s ear and her giggling, and Pettigrew and a Hufflepuff standing around and blushing. Lupin and I sat in silence.

Slughorn popped in front of us and practically shouted in my face. “Now Miss Owls, why don’t you say something kind about Mr. Lupin here?”

I mentally cursed Slughorn with every curse I knew, American or British. “You don’t look like decaying flesh, though I can say anything about your smell.” It was true, he did pile on the cologne.

He retaliated just as easily. “And you look a bit less repulsive up close than from a distance.” I only nodded. Slughorn looked uneasy, before prancing over to where Potter and Evans. I looked over at Lupin, who was staring at me curiously again, like the night I had called him a jerk. I glared before turning to the clock, eager for the bell to ring.

I hate Potions.