Paper Shall Protect You

ADDIE POV

It almost killed me. Having to talk to Sirius and flirt with him constantly. All that on top of acting so…not-like-myself. Fake giggling and smiling widely. My cheeks hurt after just one morning.

Fortunately, Sirius wasn’t as bad as I originally thought. He could be sweet and funny, and i could almost see why all the girls liked him so much.

Almost. Sure, he was attractive but there was just something about Remus.

No. I did not just think that. I tried to convince myself to back out and say he wasn’t worth it. I tried to convince myself that e really wasn’t worth it.

But my stupid heart insists on thinking of him.

Day and freaking night. And nothing could stop it.

Not the whole marauder and girlfriends’ group at breakfast when Sirius announced that we were dating.

Not all the professors handing out mountains of homework.

Not even nufflers that attacked Bailey in Care of Magical Creatures, trying to get at the sparkles in her eye shadow.

Of course, sitting next to him in all of my classes helped.

But what did Sirius say, after our first day of fake-dating was finished, when he was walking me back from the library.

“Its so working.”

I looked at him, bewildered. “What are you talking about? He didn’t even care!”

He looked at me before he burst out laughing. “He was insanely mad and jealous.” As an afterthought, he added . And confused.”

I snorted. “I wonder why.” I said with dry humor.

“Whats that supposed to mean?” Sirius asked, offended.

“Oh, come on. Its obvious I would never date you.”

“And why not?”

I looked at him with raised eyebrows. “You’re not my type.”

“I’m every girl’s type, Blondie.” He said.

“Yeah, sure. But are you sure this is working?” I asked, quickly skipping the conversation where Sirius actually tried to flirt with me.

We were now in the empty common room. On a Sunday night, it was nearly 11 PM, and everyone had gone to their dorms to gossip.

We were in front of my staircase when he put his hands on my shoulders. “Listen Blondie. He’s obviously crazy about you. Some things take time. But eventually you and him will hook up and have a happily ever after.”

“Happily ever after’s are in fairytales, Sirius.” I told him, regretfully.

“So who’s to say they cant be in real life?” He asked me.

I looked down and he opened his mouth, starting to talk.

Then we heard a noise and-

His lips crashed on mine.

He pulled away and said, “Night, Addie.”

“Night.” I said and turned around and ran up the stairs.

REMUS POV

I had been staying up late, finishing all my homework- even the papers that weren’t due for weeks. It was the only thing that could keep my mind off them.

He always had his hand on her- her arm, her waist, her knee. And it shouldn’t have made me feel mad, but it did.

I was also feeling sad, betrayed, and jealous.