Chapter 9

Chapter 9    

Ruby’s POV    

The screen door slammed shut as Louis pulled my cousin into the house. What just happened? What was Emmie saying to Harry? Emmie looked like she was… threatening him? This deck was so massive that I couldn’t hear anything from the other side.  

Suddenly, Emmie burst through the glass door.  

Zayn was sitting next to Niall and I on the wooden bench, and I noticed his jaw drop a little bit, before he blushed and looked down.  

I couldn’t blame him; Emmie had the body all girls would kill for.  

Her obviously straightened hair was pulled up into a tight ponytail at the top of her head. It was slightly to the side, resulting in her long, blonde hair swooshing down one shoulder. It reminded me of a cheerleader up do.  

Her bikini was hot pink, the tops polka dotted and the bottoms were striped; it was typical Emmie.   The tops barely covered her boobs. It was obviously push-up.  

Her stomach was perfect – flat and toned. She had curves, but not too noticeable. Spunky, round glasses covered her overly mascara-ed eyes.  

Emmie was exactly the girl I wanted to be when I stopped eating. Skinny and confident. But the disorder got way out of control. I got so skinny that my ribs showed. It was completely horrible, making me more insecure.  

Harry was the one the noticed I had anorexia. He rescued me.  

Harry was my hero.  

I shook my head, not wanting to think about the past anymore. Blushing, I realized I was staring at her still. She pushed her massive sunglasses up onto her head and placed her manicured hand on the crook of her hip. Feeling insecure, I crossed my arms over my stomach. She smirked, still staring into my soul. Emmie’s gaze was strong; it was impossible to break away.  

“We should go in the lake, guys!” she said, her voice sounding unnaturally cheerful.  

She was staring right at me, as if she was expecting me to answer. She raised her eyebrows.  

She was definitely expecting me to answer.  

I gulped, feeling shaky inside. It’s okay, Ruby. Just get off Niall, walk away, and tell everyone your not feeling good so you don’t have to wear a bathing suit. It’s fine.  

No.  

Not anymore.  

I stood up and looked Emmalie straight in the eyes. I hoped I seemed powerful. I felt powerful.  

“Sure,” Emmie’s eyes squinted at me, as she frowned, “I’ll just put on my bikini.”  

Not the answer you were expecting, huh?  

I walked beside her to get into the house; our shoulders slightly brushed, as I gave her a sweet, innocent smile.  

She scowled.  

Not a good look on you, sweetie, I thought, as I slightly chuckled to myself.  

I looked to my left and saw Harry and Louis and the kitchen. They looked really confused and scared that I was laughing to myself.  

“You talking to yourself, love?” Louis asked, slightly amused.  

I smiled. Wow, I can’t believe I just stood up to Emmie.  

I skipped over to my cousin, jumped up and kissed him on the cheek. I wrapped my arms around his neck, still smiling wide. Harry would be so proud of me.