Chapter Thirteen

The open plan offices encouraged communication and socialisation between the members of staff. It was impossible to create without the artists seeing one another or sharing their opinions, and Eun-young was happy to explain their approach to creative thinking, how they scouted their locations for shoots, why they'd started with white walls decorated with empty black frames – so that they could fill them with their masterpieces on the canvas of their company – and how the large windows which flooded the rooms with natural light and views of the trees planted outside which had begun to flower for the season gave them inspiration to incorporate life into their art.

Fashion was fluid – it was life – and it was important to let it breathe and grow just as the artists did.

'I'm sorry,' she said, noticing how Rose had fallen behind their group, dragging her feet and ignoring the finer details of the tour. 'This is not the most exciting thing in Korea.'

'Don't mind her,' Yuta said dismissively. 'She's a teenager.'

'I can hear you,' Rose reminded him.

'You were meant to,' he replied.

'Maybe you would like to see the studio and meet the model?' Eun-young suggested. 'We only have one for now.'

'I thought this was a group campaign?' Yuta asked.

'It is but... they are not here yet this morning. We are calling their managers to get a time.'

'Not very professional. Them, not you,' he clarified.

Rose glared at the back of Yuta's head and wondered just why it was that he wasn't so quick to ensure she wasn't offended whenever he accidentally insulted her. Already it seemed as if he cared more for Eun-young's feelings than for anyone else in the room, and he wasn't even being subtle about it. Noticing her friend's seething frustration – something Rose, similarly, wasn't being subtle about – Hitomi reached out to rub her arm in a comforting manner.

Oblivious to Rose's annoyance, Yuta continued to smile and chat to Eun-young, complimenting her on her English, and doing everything in his power to ignore the fact his two cousins just wanted to get out of the dull maze of desks and down to a studio, so they could stare at male models, or head to a café where there'd be cake. Either way, it would be an improvement on their present situation.

Eun-young cast a glance back at the two girls and, taking pity on them, said, 'There is not much more to see on this floor. I would like you to meet our photographer.'

'Lead the way.' Yuta smiled, and Rose wanted to puke.

Natural light was all well and good in office spaces where harsh lighting could damage the eyes, but when photographing with fashion it was important to control the direction and harshness of the illumination

Natural light was all well and good in office spaces where harsh lighting could damage the eyes, but when photographing with fashion it was important to control the direction and harshness of the illumination. Soft light could draw out a feminine glow while harsher beams were able to produce sharp, imposing edges. It wasn't all about the model, either. Different fabrics would capture the light in unusual ways – fibres and weaves altered opacity – and they needed to protect the subject from shadows cast by the staff and equipment.